OT - Speeding in France

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 04:16 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT - Speeding in France

Hi,
Last year, I took my bike over to France and travelled around pretty quickly. I assumed that if I got caught by the police then the worst I'd get is a big on the spot fine, but my license was nice and safe. Plus, some of the locals seemed to be driving even faster - I was in a hurry to get back to Calais and was a bit surprised at how many French cars overtook me while I was sitting at 115mph (much better than the UK - when we got back here we were lucky to reach 40mph on the M25).

In just over a week, I'm taking the car over. I've been told by somebody that my assumption was wrong - if I get stopped for speeding in France then I can still get points on my license (and presumably if it's fast enough, banned as well).

Does anyone know the facts here?

Also - to those of you who live in France I assume I won't have trouble finding 97 Octance fuel?

Dave
90 C4
Old 08-16-2002, 05:27 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Dave

Not sure about the points on the license as i am in Jersey, but the French attitudes to a shiney P car can be good or bad depending on which region you are in.

I found in the north they tend to find them offensive, last month i was just outside Rennes and a guy actually slowed down when passing in the petrol station and shouted Bourgious(spelling ??)out his window to my amusement.

1 tip i have learned when driving over there is, you are timed on the paege and your average speed worked out over the distance, so they dont even have to catch you but just fine you there and then.

Also most of the Gendarme tend to hang out a couple of miles either side of each large town or toll boths. Not sure if its legal but a lot of bikers get there plates made up in the style of French plates, so at a customery glance you look like a frog (no offence) and they may not bother you as much.

Anyway best off luck and i will be winging it down to lake garda on the 31/08 if anyone is making a similar trip.

Regards
Rob 91 964 cab
Jersey
Old 08-16-2002, 07:04 AM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

Talking

I do remember hearing something about getting UK points from French speedoing tickets but not sure of the details.

I would not worry too much unless you are going VERY fast you will not have any trouble. Watch out for being timed between tolls on the autoroute. Do not speed through villages as the police are pretty hot on this. It really boils down to common sense and keeping an eye on the locals. The A1 is a very busy autoroute and the police are pretty hot on speeding here. The A16??? Calais to Rouen is very quite and I have been up and down here at 160mph several times and never seen any police at all.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:42 AM
John Miles
Pro

Details are <a href="http://www.roadmc.com" target="_blank">HERE</a>.

Take care, I was on the spot fined at Le Mans 2001 for 210km/h. Cost me FF5,000 - $750! They took my passport and licence and waited for me to depart and return from cash machine.
They CAN, on the spot, take your license away as well and feed it back to the UK with points. This means you cannot drive away from the scene of the crime(while they are watching) as no licence = no drive (take your paper copy with you so if you get stopped again....).
My Gendarme said he was feeling generous and would not do this to me this time.

The motorway timing myth is a myth!

John

The Road to Le Mans

Quick Reply: OT - Speeding in France