Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zymol - waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:11 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Christer - I always thought I was doing a better job with the jetwash as I wouldn't be rubbing the particles in with a sponge...bugger.

Re the discolouring, that's why I asked really; a friends white E30 M3 looked 'whiter' once he'd polished it (ie removed the Zymol that the previous owner had applied).

Glad I'm wrong on this point, 'cos I'm really keen to try Zymol.

Also tempted to try the Teflon polish <a href="http://www.5starshine.com" target="_blank">www.5starshine.com</a> - anyone tried it?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:28 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting point about "yellowing".

When I got my car back last week, the new paint definitely made the rest of the car look noticeably yellow. I assumed it was just the age of the paint / road film etc. but I was surprised because I used the Zymol HD Cleanse on the car the first time I waxed it and that was only about 4 months ago.

Anyway - I used some t-cut type stuff on the old paint and this brought it up white again. (I know, bad idea. And to prove it - I can now see black plastic through the paint on the spoiler..... still, it's booked in to have the rest of the paint done anyway).

I wonder whether the yellowing was a result of the wax? I find it hard to believe - Zymol is usually raved about, surely someone would have mentioned it before?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:22 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DaveK:
<strong>surely someone would have mentioned it before?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Emporer's new clothes?

However, white paint does need looking after to stay white anyway.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:09 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used Zymol for many years on different cars and in comparison to other waxes, it certainly doesn;t have a particular "yellowing" effect. However, depending on the type of Zymol used and the color of your car, I suppose there could be some yellowing tendency. After all, the carnumba itself is yellow. Various Zymol waxes have more or less of the yellow carnuba and some other type and color of wax. I have not noticed it on my cars, which have mostly been red or black. (Zymol makes waxes that are aimed at both the color of your car and the type, ie, "Ital glaze" for italian cars, and other specific glazes that can cost upwards of $1000 a can...) I like the "Concours" at $125 US. -Gordon

Gordon

Quick Reply: Zymol - waste of money?