Sponsored by:

Myth or true - rear wing opening speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, the real "urban legend" is this:

All 964s rear wings open at 43-50mph and always did. The '89 C4 did not have the switch on the console to raise and lower the wing. It was on a toggle switch under the deck lid. This manual override was there for cleaning and servicing reasons. In 1990 they put the switch inside the car for convenience sake. This is where the story came from; you could tell the cop that you had manually raised the winf (show him how it works and no ticket!) I sincerely doubt that that is why the switch was moved, but that is where the myth comes from. I even read in a story in R&t that the reason for thin interior switch was due to police estimating speeds by wether the wing was up or down. Whatever!
Old 08-16-2002, 10:53 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This must be an urban legend.
The cops have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that their speed measuring devices are accurate and have been checked within the last 24hrs. I can`t beleive that they would trust PAG electronics as an accurate guide to true speed ( especially since mine goes up and down of it`s own free will).I`d pay good money to be in court when they tried to convict me of speeding because my spoiler was up - difficult questions regarding the accuracy of this method of estimating speed would make a "pull" and a day off work all worthwhile.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:01 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Tony,
There are various references to this on the public record. It is sadly not urban legend but was part of the real world.
The rear spoiler opens at approximately 50mph and closes below 7mph. Fact is actually 7kph plus or minus 6%. Spoiler opening speed is wheel speed from the rh wheel speed sensor via the PDAS/ABS control unit in a C4 and the ABS control unit in the C2 and we are allowed a 6% measured speed tolerance,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Myth or true - rear wing opening speed?