Sponsored by:

964s by type and color ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964s by type and color ?

I know the question of total production has been raised a few times, and clearly Porsche were not that well organised in keeping exact records.

I am interested to know how many 964s were made and are still out there ( probably unachievable), but more importantly, how many 964s by :-

1) Model - C2 Coupe, C4 Coupe, C2 Targa, C4 Targa etc
2) Color - which did they make the most of, and which are the rarest.

Does anyone know, or have seen this kind of information ? Does rennlist keep a record of the Models for all those subscribed to the 964 forum, or if not, I could create an online poll and see how many people at Rennlist, smartgroups etc respond.

Any thoughts ?

Al.

p.s Mine is a White C2 Targa, so must be very, very, rare !?!!?!?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect exact numbers are impossible - after all, if we can't tell how many were produced in total we're unlikely to find out how many were produced of each model. But I'll happily guess!

If we consider the very small UK meet we had at the weekend (about 12 cars which is not enough to be representative at all) I'd say :

About 10% are Targa
About 20% are Cabs
About 70% are coupes

I didn't check how many were 2WD and how many were 4WD - but I get the impression there are less C4s about than C2s. Maybe a 60/40 split?

As for colour - I think lots of red and lots of white. Maybe 20% of each, with everything else a fairly even split.

Not very scientific - and you'll probably get better answers than mine from other people!

I also wonder if it varies by country. Red and white seemed popular here at that time, but was that true everywhere?

Last edited by DaveK; 02-01-2005 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Improved spelling!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Thanks Dave, I would agree with your "finger in the air" estimate.

If i can get a definitive list of Model Variants and Color options then I will gladly post an online survey so members can see visually what the splits are for this membership .

Al.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Flagg
Racer

Hey - here are some interesting stats, that Keith has posted on his rsamerica.net web page. Out of the 701 RS America's producted - he has had 290 join his page. Here are the colors out of those 290:

Red: 103
Black: 69
White: 67
Midnight Blue: 24
Silver: 20
Yellow: 4
Puru red: 1
Maritime blue: 1
Turquoise Metalic: 1

These stats are pretty interesting.......Keith has many more stats available about the options on those 290 cars too.

This might be slightly related to your question..........however the RSA only had 5 standard colors, so that would not relate exactally to a 964 which had many more choices........

Flagg
Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

As a follow up, I have posted a new topic with a link to an online survey so "Hopefully" we can find out.

I have created a really short ( 5 questions) Survey to find out who has what kind of 964, what color it is and where we all live. No personal info, email details etc, just a brief survey to find out if there are more Cabs than Targas, more Red than White.

The survey is located at the following website. Click on the hyperlink below, or cut and paste the entire URL into your browser.

http://www.AdvancedSurvey.com

When you arrive at the Advanced Survey homepage, type in survey number 21500 in the "Take A Survey" box.

Please take 60 seconds to add your details ( just once please) and of course you can check back to see the latest results as and when you like.

Thanks again

Al.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Johan K
Instructor

Done. Al, please note that it's not possible to complete the survey unless you tick off for one of the pre-chosen countries. Discriminating...
Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The survey does not work if you do not have a listed color. It appears you left out the "other" option and while you can type in another color (like Amazon Green for my Turtle) it will not let you continue.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:19 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran into the same issue as Tom; other color does not work
Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I've seen only one other Horizon Blue '93, and that was a photo on a web site.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:25 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Sorry guys, first time using this product, and I suppose it was inevitable there would be a couple of teething problems.

Everyones data is being recorded, but I agree the color section is a pain, my understanding was that by providing the Text option for "extra" colors, it would allow everyone to respond, clearly I should have added an "Other" as well as the text field.

You can't edit a survey once running ( otherwise I guess you would ruin the existing data), but based on feedback, it looks like a lot of people would like a similar survey covering other items, mods etc, so hopefully I can avoid the problem next time round ( and i guess include color in it).

Any suggestions for questions please post them.

Results as of Feb 2nd AM.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:13 PM
hawk911
Race Car

The book "Original Porsche 911" by Peter Morgan does a good job of listing models, and how many of each were produced by model year. I have the book if someone needs the numbers, but it does not break them down by colors/colours.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Results as of Feb 3rd 8am (GMT) - 158 cars recorded so far.

I'll update again tomorrow and add a summary of the manually entered results for color and countries.

Al.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Results as of Feb 4th 8am (GMT) - 179 cars recorded so far.

I'll update again tomorrow and add a summary of the manually entered results for color and countries.

Al.

Quick Reply: 964s by type and color ?