964 front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:11 AM
amorgan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 front speakers

Hi,
I have just replace the rear speakers of my 964 with some JBL's and have decided to see what my options are for replacing the front ones. I do not want a particular loud or bassy set up but would appreciate your views on what is available. I currently operate a sony head unit which has 55w per channel and really didnt want to start adding amps. what speakers would you guys suggest?
many thanks
Adrian Morgan
Old 01-30-2005, 11:38 AM
mamsp
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the infinity 5000 cs, direct replacement, perfect fit. Not alot of bass but that typical of a door speaker. Tweeter fit perfectly also
Old 01-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Is there any reason why you haven't considered using JBL for the front as well? You should keep it in the family, if you know what I mean. JBL makes front speaker systems that will work as replacements for your factory speakers and x-overs. They are a reputable brand and should bring you years of enjoyment.

Duncan
Old 01-30-2005, 12:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Adrian,

Give the "Search" a try....there are dozens of threads on loudspeaker replacement.

Failing that, take a look at Rod Birch's "caraudioinovations" web site....lots of great sugegstions there.

BGL
Old 01-31-2005, 03:59 AM
amorgan
Intermediate

thanks for your suggestions guys.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:23 AM
amorgan
Intermediate

I have been looking at those infinity speakers. Could you tell me do they fit directly and do you use the original speaker grills what are on the car. Also are they also good to use without a separate amplifier?
Many thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 09:57 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fitted the Infinity's about a month ago (505CS). They kind of fit directly :

The main speakers (woofer) fits directly in. I didn't use the original speaker grill but I know people who have (and used the original fitting). I used the infinity fitting - which already has the screw holes lined up to match the original holes in the doors anyway - and hence the Infinity grill. But, they were silver so I had to spray them black.

The tweeters also fit - but, because they are domed the original mount for them has to be turned upside down. Otherwise you cannot get the tweeter cover on. If you do this, you need slight longer screws to mount the tweeter housing in place (because it's upside down now, the recessed part for the screws is now facing the door). But the Infinity speakers came with screws the right length anyway.

Crossover fits exactly where the originals do.

If you replace the rears, the grill won't fit - you need to raise it slightly but this can be done with a bit of double sided tape.

They sound fine with no Amp - my amp isn't connected - but of course it depends on the head unit. I think your head unit is amplified more than mine so you should be fine.

Mine sounds good enough that Christer is going to buy the same speakers. Although I don't guarantee he has any musical taste at all.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:18 AM
amorgan
Intermediate

Cheers Dave. I will go down this route then. Will let you know how i get on. Fitted the rears on sat and did use double sided tape for the grills.

Quick Reply: 964 front speakers