Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems when not used for a week

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005 | 08:42 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Default Starting problems when not used for a week

Over the last few months (basically since I stopped using the car daily) I've noticed that it doesn't start very well when I haven't used it for a week or so. Usually, it fires straight away but for a few seconds doesn't sound like it's firing on all cylinders.

This morning it was very hard to start. I eventually put my foot on the accelerator - it fired, but stalled a few times. It was then OK - but again, didn't sound like it initially fired on all cylinders.

Battery is fine (I have a maintainer, and the indicator on the battery says it's fully charged).

Starter doesn't actually sound like it spins all that fast - but if that was the problem I would expect it to run normally when it did finally fire.

Don't think it's the DME relay although I have a spare so will try that next time.

At the moment, I'm thinking I will just fire it up every few days. But anyone know what might cause this?
Old 01-15-2005 | 11:55 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like an electrical issue: do you have any smoke upon startup? If so, you may have leaky rings permitting fouling of a couple plugs, and until these plugs burn the oil off after a few seconds, it may run rough.

Now does it run just fine once warmed up, and as it is warming up (after the initial start)? And if you started it once, turn if off, and see if it start right up again, or if it is difficult. That will help figure this out!
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:19 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

My car did something like that a few years ago, and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Except with me, the pump was making a humming noise that eventually got very loud and then it quit. So did the car. All this took place over the coarse of a couple months. I was in denial, and then I was in de-wallet for about 300.00, pump and filter.

Duncan
Old 01-15-2005 | 12:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

There is some smoke at start up - but I doubt I have leaky rings because the top end was rebuilt 40K miles ago.

Once started (and once the initial poor running is over), it starts straight away again and it runs fine.

I must admit, I wondered about the fuel pump myself.
Old 01-15-2005 | 03:08 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Smoke on start up was a greyish colour - which I guess means rich running?
Old 01-15-2005 | 03:24 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I didn't smell it - I was in the car and noticed the smoke when it finally started but then drive out the garage. I guess it may have just been because it was a bit flooded after turning over without starting?

Next time I start it from cold, I'll get out and inhale. Assuming I survive I'll add details here!
Old 01-15-2005 | 04:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

If you let your car idle for around 30 seconds before shutting it off most of the oil returns to the oil tank and then it shouldn't smoke on startup (unless you have other problems).
Old 01-22-2005 | 07:37 AM
DaveK
Race Car

It seems that my "it only does it when left for a week" theory was incorrect.

I used the car Thursday evening and then couldn't resist taking it to work yesterday. I've just moved it out of the garage this morning - and it was reluctant to start again. Took several attempts at cranking it over, and the first time it caught it stalled. After that was OK.

So I guess it's a general cold start issue. I'll check Adrians book and check temp. sensor etc. over the weekend if I get the chance, but I'm open to any other suggestions.
Old 01-22-2005 | 09:45 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

DaveK,
If you press the accelerator pedal down when you start the car do you still have problems starting it or does it not make a difference (pedal up/pedal down)?
Old 01-23-2005 | 05:14 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Still could be a leaky injector , just for grins , turn the key to on and let it sit for a bit untill the fuel pressure builds up , then crank it over . Does it fire up well ?
I'll try that next time.

If you press the accelerator pedal down when you start the car do you still have problems starting it or does it not make a difference (pedal up/pedal down)?
When it did it yesterday, I didn't use the accelerator and although it was reluctant it did start without me pushing the pedal down. When I had the problems a week ago - I did push the pedal down. It did finally start that way but I'm not sure it did make a big difference.

I checked the engine and air temp sensors yesterday - and the engine temp sensor seemed a little higher than I would have expected - but this was after I'd moved the car out of the garage about 2 hours previously. I'll check it again when it's stone cold (although that's tricky because I can't open the left hand door in the garage).

There is one other thing I should mention since it might be related. Since I bought the car 3.5 years ago I occasionally have warm start problems. It doesn't happen all that often - but when it does, foot on the pedal will cure it. It's been checked by my mechanic and they could never find anything wrong. Maybe it's the same thing and it's now worse.
Old 01-23-2005 | 07:27 AM
david@st ives
Racer

Dave
I had exactly the same problems as you ,
firstly keep the battery fully charged the engine will struggle to start if not .
The engine needs about 30 rpm on the starter to start successfully without keep stalling rough idle etc.
also the dme relay can be tempremental before it finally fails so i strongly suggest you change the dme relay it worked for me
thanks
dave

Quick Reply: Starting problems when not used for a week