Motor Missing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Missing

Well, it's not actually missing but it is out. I took a picture of the bent hanger - I'm not sure what Porsche calls it, but its the piece that bolts to the back of the engine and the two rear motor mounts go through it to hold the engine in. Well one side of mine is badly bent and one has to wonder how long it would have been before it broke and the engine fell out. This happened to a friends 993 not long ago.

The bent hanger:

It's not as obvious from the photo but the metal is fatigued and the paint cracked off.

The space left behind with the engine out:

The engine goes back in on Monday and more dyno results later in the week. It should be back together by Friday so I can head to Laguna Seca on Monday.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:01 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

That's interesting - it would seem your engine would move forward (longitudinally) permitting that to support bend... maybe your tranny mount is shot, permitting this action...
Old 01-10-2005, 04:49 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Tom, do you mean your friend's engine, sorry motor, actually DID fall out?!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't imagine the engine weight would cause a bend at that location. It looks like buckling. Was the car ever hit in the side?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car was never hit that I'm aware of (and no evidence of repair too). The motor mounts were replaced last year with RS mounts. At that time it was noted that they were in very bad shape. I'd imagine the bend could happen by prolonged "play" and banging back and forth. The tranny mount appears to be fine.

Yes, the mount broke at a DE at Thunderhill and did some damage as the engine came down. Not all the way out but I'm told it sheared the rear swaybar and put a hole in the valve cover and some other not so fun stuff (I didn't see it but my mechanic did).

Quick Reply: Motor Missing