Sponsored by:

vague steering and mis-alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005 | 09:47 AM
Toon
Instructor

Default vague steering and mis-alignment

Hi,

I've always noticed that the steering of my factory lowered C2 was somewhat indirect/vague.
. When I got the car aligned I had it aligned wit the from in the "0" position on the steering rods. Then the steer was not in the "0" position but have done that later at home.Also the car could not be completely be aligned to factory specs at the rear and has now some negative camber.

However the car still pulls somewhat to the right and the steering is not waht it should be but the car has no signs of accident damage.

What could be wrong? Or is this typical for a 964 C2?

Especially at higher speeds the car feels really nervous and I have to correct a lot especially when I compare it to my Audi A4 ....
Old 01-04-2005 | 04:25 PM
Sire
Racer

Toon,
Near the hageu is Witte Brug, they can do adjustment for you.
Old 01-04-2005 | 05:32 PM
leosayer
Racer

I also have an A4 and the difference in steering is incredible, I am shocked every time I drive the 964 how much feel there is in the steering. However the A4 does feel more planted on the road and initial turn in is a bit sharper, probably due to all the weight over the front wheels. The 964 requires a bit of learning before you understand what the wheel is telling you, but once you do the steering is 10x better.

Best thing to do is try to drive another 964 and compare.
Old 01-04-2005 | 06:07 PM
Christer
Race Car

I am not really understanding your post either but you should get 4-wheel alignment done with the laser equipment. When I first got my car it was also very nervous at over 110mph or so, however the alignement was way out in almost every way possible. How was your alignment done?

It is also worth stressing though that the steering feel of the 964 takes a little getting used to. It is so much more alive and can fell alittle strange until you get used to it. However, you should have no problem doing 130mph plus with one hand on the wheel if you should so wish. (At least on a decent road service that is)

Leo, if your 964 does not turn in sharper than your A4 then you need to do something about that. Come and ride in my car sometime (and bring earplugs).
Old 01-04-2005 | 06:49 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Have you had the car corner balanced?
Old 01-05-2005 | 03:04 PM
Toon
Instructor

hi,

my car was aligned with Hunter laser equipment but they could not get the rear 100% within company specs (what could be wrong there? The shop couldn't tell).

I checked my tire pressures and they were way off ... (I had just new tires fitted and my wheels painted) after setting that straight it's much better but not all it could be I'm afraid.
But from the responses it sounds that it might be ok though (the feel and all)
The car was not corner balanced as the shop didin't have the appropriate scales to do so.

What is corner balancing exactly and what's the purpose? How does it work?
Old 01-05-2005 | 04:24 PM
Toon
Instructor

Indycam,

the shop measured the ridehight at all 4 cornes of the car to make sure they are appropriate hights.
However they did not check the tire pressure.
Another shop via my mechanic put on the new tires Bridgestone S02 and they got the pressure wrong.
I had 3.2 bar left front 3 bar right front and 3.2 left front and 2.8 right front. I adjusted to front 2.5 and back 3.0.
Old 01-05-2005 | 05:10 PM
Sire
Racer

Dear Toon,

You should go to an expert, because the most tyre sellers don't anything alignment fro ma porsche, and scales are there to weigh the pressure of weight on each tyre.

So go to the Porsche Dealer Witte Brug or Renntech in Steenwijk. That's were mine car is for service.
Old 01-06-2005 | 04:45 AM
Toon
Instructor

Sire,

I went to the shop that does all the alignment work for Porsche dealer Wittebrug. To be honest wittebrug itself is crap from my experience ... they messed up my 968 big time before !!
Old 01-06-2005 | 10:39 AM
Sire
Racer

That's the reason i bring mine Porsche to Renntech in Steenwijk. I even got a excuse letter from Witte Brug. I promisse you that Renntech can solve youre problems. Did you try the dutch forum? Porscheforum.nl.
Old 01-06-2005 | 10:49 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Toon,

if you are on 17" wheels, you need 36lb all round for tyre pressures, 2.5bar I think.

Corner balancing has nothing to do with measuring heights, it is making sure that each wheel when on a set of scales has the same weight on it, with IIRC 3/4 tank of fuel and the driver onboard.

kevin
Old 01-06-2005 | 12:29 PM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Another tip for an excellent alignment shop: Rennsport in Breda. Their alignment guy really knows his Porsches. They've been doing all my alignments over the past years

The nice thing is that they understand you when you tell them how you use the car (Sunday afternoon cruising, flat tracks, bumpy tracks, Nordschleife, daily driver, ..., ...) and what you are looking for (excellent turn-in at the expense of straight-line stability, ..., ...).

Cheers,

JW

PS: Oh, and since this is a US-board, all the usual and maybe not so usual disclaimers apply.
Old 01-06-2005 | 03:09 PM
JoeW
Pro

Toon, like the others it sounds to me like you need someone more experienced and/or careful to do your alignment. The only reason I know of for a car being unable to adjust to stock alighnment specs., and then to still pull off-center when you drive, would be damage somewhere underneath -- I hope I'm incorrect again (I often am!)

In any case, I would certainly want it checked. If, in addition, you can get to drive another C2, it might give you some perspective.

Joe

Quick Reply: vague steering and mis-alignment