Sponsored by:

2 Questions (please help) re-newed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 12:39 PM
BLW
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions (please help) re-newed

1. When i accelerate hard in 2,3 or 4 my RPM's will jump maybe 1500 to 2500 rpm then drop then increase in a normal manner. What would cause this?
Car just had a major tune up .Valves adjusted, new plugs, new wires, all new oil pipes and new seals, dist cap, fuse panel, new oil lines AC rebuilt ect.

2 Which brings me to question #2..Car has new valve seals,,cam cover seals, new oil pipes, new oil lines..And STILL I have a oil leak somwhere on the right side that drips on the exhaust and smokes out of the rear rim...no oil puddle in the garage and the heat shield is removed...could it be because i run synthetic oil and it happens under preassure? This drives my wife insane and i have a ton of money in trying to track it down...any advice would greatly appreciated.
Car is a 1991 911 964 Cab with 58,000 miles..

BTW...Car has less then 15K on new perf. clutch...I'm still at a loss...

Last edited by BLW; 12-26-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. failing clutch

2. get a new mechanic

Ok, semi-flip answers. #1 sounds like a slipping clutch. To track down my oil leaks I cleaned everything in sight and then took the car for a 10 minute drive. That may be enough for you to see where it's coming from, but not have so much leak it gets everywhere. I doubt it has anyting to do with dino vs synthetic oil. I run Mobil 1 15W50 and have no issues or leaks.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

1) On the top of the engine, the left side, where the engine and tranny mate is where your crank sensor is located. Check it, make sure that it was not damged or not secured properly during the work that you resently had done. You may also want to check the sensor wires for connection and insure that they did not get pinched between the bellhousing and engine during assembly.

2) The oil leak is most likely power steering pump related. (a) a hose was not secured or tightened properly (b) the pump itself is leaking (c) the seal on the engine where the pump is matted is defective.

3) In any case you should return it to the istablishment that performed the work and have it taken care of, afterall people do make mistakes. Out of all that work, these two problems seem to be a minor issues that could be resolved easily. Provided that they are competent repairshop to begin with.

Duncan
Old 12-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Must be the clutch season...this is about the 4th or 5th post this week about clutch problems...gotta love the 964s
Old 12-26-2004, 01:44 PM
BLW
4th Gear

Guys,
Car has less then 15k on perf clutch...I'm still at a loss.......
thanks, BLW
Old 12-26-2004, 02:25 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

New clutch could have gotten glazed over because of slippage caused by poor adjustment of the pedal, or more likely, it is just slipping because of adjustment not allowing it to fully engage.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:56 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone is in need of clutch parts, please let me know. I have a direct account with Sachs N.A. You can email me at KZ1L59@yahoo.com with the part #'s.

Thanks
GP
"661 Motorsports"
Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

2) How about the oil pressure sender seal, it can leak over and down the rear/RH side of motor. Worth a look you can see it through the plumbing of the intake with a bright torch. If leaking badly you will be able to see it clearly, if not refer above.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

1. Clutch... sorry if it only has 15K but that is the clutch slipping..

2. As some of the folks have mentioned. Check the leak, could be from the power steering hoses and not motor oil... or could be the sender unit on top of the engine... either way it should be easy to get to with the engine out and just a little more work with the engine in place....
Old 12-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dunasso
1) On the top of the engine, the left side, where the engine and tranny mate is where your crank sensor is located. Check it, make sure that it was not damged or not secured properly during the work that you resently had done. You may also want to check the sensor wires for connection and insure that they did not get pinched between the bellhousing and engine during assembly.

2) The oil leak is most likely power steering pump related. (a) a hose was not secured or tightened properly (b) the pump itself is leaking (c) the seal on the engine where the pump is matted is defective.

3) In any case you should return it to the istablishment that performed the work and have it taken care of, afterall people do make mistakes. Out of all that work, these two problems seem to be a minor issues that could be resolved easily. Provided that they are competent repairshop to begin with.

Duncan
Next time I will read all posts ... I agree with Duncan completely...
Old 12-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Aloha
So does it act like a bad clutch ? Does it slip like a bad old clutch ? Does it smell like a bad clutch ?
Is any oil seen around the bell housing ?
15 k is plenty miles for some to burn up a clutch . Do you "drive it like you stole it" ?
When the clutch was done 15k ago , what parts did they replace ? Did they just replace the disc ?
Or did they put in the full set of parts ?

Hey, what's wrong with "drive it like you stole it" - it is a P-car and was made to be driven On a recent long drive my wife accused me of going for bathroom breaks just so I could go back up the on-ramp to "test" the acceleration!!

Marc

ps. Mature adults people can have fun too.

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 12-29-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

(1)Drive it like you really care for it , like you want it to last , like you are a mature adult .
(2)If you had a fine paiting , would you hang it in direct sunlight ?
(3)If you had fine wine , would you store it in the attic ?
(1) Now... what is the fun in that? Yes, care for it... meaning no burnouts... but once the clutch pedal is out floor the gas pedal until the car screams!!!

(2) No... but we are not talking about a painting, are we?

(3) No... I would drink it!!

Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am with you Jaime, care for the car but when given the opportunity boot it. Nothing more satisfying than a 964 over 5,000 rpm in second gear, exiting a turn.....4WD light on!!!

Youcef
Old 12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I would check for sure the master and slave cylinder.... I remeber driving a 993 once which master or slave was hanging, so the clutch came not completely free with shifting so te rpm's rised under load..... Worn colul de too, but firts bleed the system and check those items before remove the gear box......
Old 12-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Drive it like you stole it =
Burn out all the time , bash it , crash it , use it up , burn it up , flog it to death , if the motor starts to knock , ignore it , if the dash board lights all come on , ignore them , its stolen . Practice speed sifting , practice drifting . If some kid wants to race , trade paint with him and see if you can leave tire rings on his fenders . If a cop wants to pull you over , use it up and leave it a claped out smoking ruin in a ditch .
ah..err...

Quick Reply: 2 Questions (please help) re-newed