Sponsored by:

anyone familiar w/ this ebay 964?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Ferris B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone familiar w/ this ebay 964?

My brother brought this to my attention. Is anyone familiar with this car?

If he gets serious, he'll need to have a PPI done, who would you recommend in Portland?

Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4513268816

Last edited by Ferris B; 12-20-2004 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add link
Old 12-21-2004, 08:29 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know the car, but eBay is hit or miss, especially on cars. The price looks good. The broom handle holding up engine lid, and the missing trunk carpet suggest less than fanatical maintenance. I would want to see the receipts on the accident repair, and for sure have the four-wheel alignment checked as part of the PPI.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car was on ebay many months ago, same exact pictures anyway. There must be a good reason why it isn't selling.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:28 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

As much as i hate saying this, i am the perfect example of why you should be VERY WARY of buying a car from ebay... especially without a PPI...
I bought my 964 from a 'so-called' reputable ebay auctioning company, that sells a lot of 'quality' performance cars. I 'trusted' their description as they had good ebay feedback and they had a very good and long advert for the car showing lots of pictures.
However, who said the camera never lies??? I have spent £4000 rectifying faults that were not disclosed with the car so far... that's before i even start on the oil leaks(it is an unmodified 1990 engine after all...)
Whilst i am seriously happy with my P-Car, I am a 'living' warning to anyone who feels tempted to buy a car at auction... (SEE THE CAR< DRIVE THE CAR<GET A PPI<ASK LOADS OF QUESTIONS!)
...maybe then you might be ok?
If its back up for sales again so soon, i would be VERY WARY!
Otherwise... Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KB964Cabrio
As much as i hate saying this, i am the perfect example of why you should be VERY WARY of buying a car from ebay... especially without a PPI...
I bought my 964 from a 'so-called' reputable ebay auctioning company, that sells a lot of 'quality' performance cars. I 'trusted' their description as they had good ebay feedback and they had a very good and long advert for the car showing lots of pictures.
Ditto... Ditto...
I bought my car off ebay too... Live in NJ and car was in California... Got the PPI done, the dealer didn't catch a number of things that I did after it arrived. I also never got the "stack" of service records that were allegedly with it. If I were to do it again I would fly out and touch and see it myself before I sent all that cash over the wire. I buy and sell a fair amount on ebay and I like the feedback system they have in place (which is something you can't get when you buy from a dealer of any sort otherwise) BUT, like a lot of others, I talk to the seller on the phone and they end the auction and make the sale off ebay. So you can't leave a negative feedback if you wanted to. So do be wary of that. All that being said, I still would have bought my car and paid what I did for it. Ebay certainly seems to be the place to find exactly what you are looking for, patience and research is the key to shopping there.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Ferris B
Addict
Rennlist Member

All, thanks for the information. I'll pass it along to my brother.

Regards.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

I would also be very wary of the description of "other" in the title. If it is a salvage title [the seller did disclose that it was bought AFTER it had an accident in the front] that lops probably 20% off the value or more and leaves your brother up the creek if he ever wants to sell it again.....there are enough cars out there that are story-free and have been taken care of, and there are many 964s that are "undervalued" in that the market dictates a low price but a seller has loved and cared for his/her car....tell your brother to wait for one of these cars as they will come along
Old 12-21-2004, 02:21 PM
botoo
Instructor

I bought my car from an ebay auction that didn't sell, I believe because the pictures were not real good. I contacted the seller after the auction, went to see the vehicle, did my own PPI and reviewed the service records. Since it didn't sell on ebay, the seller dropped his price $6,000 and because I was satisfied that it was a solid car and a good buy, I bought the car. I am really happy with this purchase, but I definitely would look into the car very carefully just as one would do with any purchase or car of this value.
Have fun and good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

"I bought her 4 years ago after she had an accident in the front left side and she was perfectly and professionally repaired."

Then how come all the photos in the auction only show the right side? I think there are some states that won't let you register a car with a salvage title (probably why the auction says "other" title).

I'd keep looking.

Quick Reply: anyone familiar w/ this ebay 964?