Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Post - What's Wrong With This Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JayH - I think I remember your car. It's the beautiful blue one, right? It's the one someone thought was an "odd" color!? I love your car....it's awesome, congrats. I too am **** and wash the wheelwells more than most people wash their cars. To me, if it ain't perfect (well, eventually) I don't want to own it.

I just turned 50 and am slowly looking for my dream car, well within reason. I have related this before; that as a high school senior I remember looking through the closed dealership window at a then new '72 911S thinking, "My God that is beautiful, I will never have enough money to own a car like that." Well, I went through a "surprise" divorce after 20 years - got reamed, both my kids just graduated from college, it's time to do something for myself. Porsches had slipped to the back of my priorities while raising my kids. I bought a low mileage 944 as a basic transpo car while recovering financially, spent too much money on it, remembered how much I wanted a 911 and here I am. I truly love my 944, but want more. I won't own a series of 911's, I'll own one, maybe two tops. Retirement is coming along.

JBH - I can't definitively answer those questions. No, not a daily driver. I've got a big black (what the hell was I thinking?) Dodge Ram Quadcab 4x4 for that. I LOVE the earlies - specifically '72, but I grew up in the non-galvanized era and I like washing my cars. I'm ****, but I don't want to spritz my car off and dab it with a diaper like it's a museum exhibit so it won't rust. I'm more than capable of working on my own cars, especially the earlier ones, I'm just not sure I want to much anymore, sad but true. Not heavy wrenching anyway. Oil, brakes, oil coolers, cosmetics, lighter stuff, yes. Dropping the engine to detail it?, yeah probably -once. Rebuilding my engine and trans?, Nope. I have many of the tools, but I'm done with that much bleeding and cursing! I'm not cerain what I'll end up with.
I really like the 964's but realistically I shouldn't spend much more than that. A truly mint SC or Carerra...or one I can make that way is likely what I'll end up with. I prefer stock..then a few weeks ago I found a guy selling an immaculate white 75 Coupe with a sano 3.2 transplant in Illinois(I think) I coulda done that one...maybe. Anyone know about that one? Anyway, we'll see what comes along. I am lurking and looking. It'll happen. Thanks guys, Dan
Old 12-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena
JayH - I think I remember your car. It's the beautiful blue one, right? It's the one someone thought was an "odd" color!? I love your car....it's awesome, congrats.
Dan; Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I do have a Baltic Blue coupe. Just before driving down to Chicago, the salesman at the dealership where my car was located 'warned' me about how this particular color was 'odd' and was not a typical color. From his tone of voice, it sounded like people had looked at the car, but walked away when they saw it... Maybe it was the dim florecent lighting in the warehouse where the car was stored...it had an unusual greenish hue to it when I first saw it in this warehouse. But, in daylight or normal lighting, it looks good to my eye (though I like odd color 911's...).

Sounds like you are on the right track and you'll find the right car!

Just from Jack, Jeremy and Craig's post above, it seems the market is warming up just a bit on 964's and purchase prices...

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: Cross Post - What's Wrong With This Deal?