Question about Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:11 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Fuel Consumption

I was looking at Adrian's book (p. 120) and found power curves for the 89 C4, 91 930, 92 RS, and 93 965 and I had a question. Below the power curves there is a specific fuel consumption curve. From looking at the graph it would seem that the lowest fuel consumption for an 89 C4 would be at 3000 RPMs. Am I reading this right? It seems strange to me that the fuel consumption would be lower at 3000 RPMs than it is at 2000 simply because the engine is running slower, but I assume that it must be an efficiency issue (If I'm not completely misreading the graph). And finally, I know that kWh= Kilowatt Hours, but what does PSh stand for? Thanks.

Brian
Old 12-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian,

Just a thought, but it may have something to do with the gearing, being that at 3000rpm in 5th, the fuel burnt/distance travelled would be the lowest. PSh stands for "per horsepower per hour".

Andy
Old 12-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian,

Here's a link that explains some of it!! http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com/en/qa/engine_02.html

Andy
Old 12-05-2004, 02:48 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Back in my old days....when building engines was work, not a hobby we used to use the term specific fuel consumption, which relates to :-
How much fuel used per horsepower made per hour run. in our case we used to measure it by weight...... 0.4lbs/BHP/hr.. which incidently when measured as shown on the Mitsi page represents a curve...and almost mirrors the torque curve....
So as Andy suggests the best fuel consumption measured in SFC terms equates to the amount of work done, and this can relate to the gearing a car has (if in motion).

kevin
Old 12-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

PSh is the abbreviation for PferdStunden per Hur (German) which translates to Horsepower per hour. The graphs are, of coures only approximations for us - all our cars/engines will be slightly different and driving styles likey to be very different. Fuel economy is proportionate to how big your right foot is!

HA

Quick Reply: Question about Fuel Consumption