Road tax and MOT in UK

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
SMF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road tax and MOT in UK

Hello,

sorry for troubling you about things not related to Porsche cars but...
I am going to buy jag xjs /1990/ which doesn't have MOT and road tax. Is there any chance to pay it , to make MOT for export only? Maybe as a foreigner can I drive without it?

thx
Marcin
Old 12-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marcin,

Without an MOT certificate you cannot tax it. Indeed, you cannot tax it without an insurance certificate either. Even IF you insure it the insurance becomes null and void if you have no MOT certificate.

There is no such thing as an MOT for export.

You are only permitted to drive it directly to an MOT Testing Station for a pre-booked MOT Test. Otherwise YOU CANNOT DRIVE IT - foreigner or not!!!!

You didn't mention what you intend to do with the car. If you plan to export it from the UK the rules in the destination country would apply. You would not be able to drive it to the port of departure.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-03-2004, 11:22 AM
SMF
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
What if car has MOT, but doesn't have insurance and tax? How much for a 5 liter 1990 car?
FI I have jag with number plate F631 XWP or F63I XWP - it has MOT but no road tax.
Any chance to move it ?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot drive on the road in the UK in a car that is not taxed. In order to get your road tax you would need to have a valid MOT certificate and valid insurace documents.

If you intend to ship the car abroad you would be better placed to spend the money having it transported on a lorry to the port of your choice in the UK instead.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
leosayer
Racer

Another option is to find a friendly used car salesman who has 'trade' plates. I believes this allows the dealer to drive the car without tax and with insurance (not sure about MOT though).
Old 12-03-2004, 12:46 PM
andrew964
Instructor

Originally Posted by SMF
Thanks.
What if car has MOT, but doesn't have insurance and tax? How much for a 5 liter 1990 car?
FI I have jag with number plate F631 XWP or F63I XWP - it has MOT but no road tax.
Any chance to move it ?
I would ask your current insurance company if they would cover it, to allow you to drive it back to Poland to be re-registered; my insurers covered me to bring a Ferrari over from Germany last year, so I cannot see why it should be different for an almost reverse journey

I'd also find out why the registration has an F prefix as that would be an 88/89 registered car not a 1990.
It is currently illegal to use a car on the road in the UK without tax which would again arouse my suspicions
Old 12-03-2004, 03:01 PM
SMF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Goalen
I would ask your current insurance company if they would cover it, to allow you to drive it back to Poland to be re-registered; my insurers covered me to bring a Ferrari over from Germany last year, so I cannot see why it should be different for an almost reverse journey

I'd also find out why the registration has an F prefix as that would be an 88/89 registered car not a 1990.
It is currently illegal to use a car on the road in the UK without tax which would again arouse my suspicions
THx Andrew - I am checking several option on Ebay - maybe I missed spell a production year.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't forget that, regardless of the UK requirements, the car would need to be properly registered, insured and roadworthy legal to be driven anywhere in Europe. You would also need to be capable of producing the relevant documents on demand. The only advantage of exporting is that you should be able to claim a VAT refund on exiting the UK.

H

Quick Reply: Road tax and MOT in UK