Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with oil leak diagnosis....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 08:01 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Need help with oil leak diagnosis....

I seem to have dveloped a leak at the base of the #1 cylinder or around it??? Is this a common leak point or is there anything else in the area or above it that could leak down into that area? It's not a bad leak as I still got about 1.8K miles before I needed to add a liter Thanks for your response!

-CKKrause
Old 11-27-2004, 11:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There is an oil line bridge that connects the camshaft housing with the chain cases, the o-rings can fail and oil will find its way down there. There is also a metal gasket for one of the hydraulic chain tensioners in that area but on the top of the chain case and unlikely to be your leak. A picture would really help...
Old 11-28-2004, 01:10 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Good idea, I'll post a picture of the area tomorrow...

-CKKrause
Old 11-28-2004, 06:16 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

I've added the picture below and it makes a liar out of me. After I wiped down the case last night, I ran the motor for a few minutes and there was no oil showing. However, when I took the picture this morning, the oil is coming from the very back (of the car) portion of the motor and seems to be dripping straight down from somewhere above. Can anyone help with a diagnosis now.

Thanks!!

-CKKrause
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Assuming your case is not leaking, there are 8 things I can think of in that area that can leak. They are all easy to fix except for the seal behind the crankshaft pulley which requires some not-so-special tools. Directly below the pulley and behind a metal cover there is a $1USD rubber seal that can leak. The four dowel pins that the chain tensioners pivot on have metal crush washers (in the bottom left of your photo you can see one of them is not leaking) and obviously the chainbox covers. Unfortunately to get to most of them you'll need to drop the motor. One of the chaincover gaskets can be replaced with the engine in place but the dowel pins are too long and the other seals require you to pull the engine suspension off (not a big deal, just four nuts & an engine drop

Old 11-30-2004, 12:17 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply!! Well... I guess it would take way to much effort to find and then stop a small leak. So, I think for me the best answer is to let it leak until or if I have to pull the motor. By the way, great pictures!

-CKKrause

Quick Reply: Need help with oil leak diagnosis....