Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has the most beautiful 964 on here??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Are those forgeline wheels? Very nice, how great it is to own a piece of porche CUP history.

Do you have a set of wheels like in your picture (ala 3.6)?
Yes, Forgelines. I have not been terribly happy with them as they leak air when mishandled during tire removal/install (which occurs frequently for me since this is a race car). I have a set of BBS three piece on order to see if they work better.

Yes, I have the original Speedlines. The car came with Pirelli rains on them and I continue to use them for this purpose. Here they are on the car last year soon after picking the car up at the dock:

Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Yes, Forgelines. I have not been terribly happy with them as they leak air when mishandled during tire removal/install (which occurs frequently for me since this is a race car). I have a set of BBS three piece on order to see if they work better.

Yes, I have the original Speedlines. The car came with Pirelli rains on them and I continue to use them for this purpose. Here they are on the car last year soon after picking the car up at the dock:
Even if people say they're heavy, I just love them wheels in white. My next wheels will be something like that.

As for your leakage, did you change change the bead of silicone. I just took my Kinesis apart to paint them and had to remove and grind old silicone and put new one.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Even if people say they're heavy, I just love them wheels in white. My next wheels will be something like that.

As for your leakage, did you change change the bead of silicone. I just took my Kinesis apart to paint them and had to remove and grind old silicone and put new one.
If you're not worried about the last nth second in racing (e.g., you're in DE or on the street), then I agree it is hard to beat the Speedlines. The originals also had center-cracking issues which were remedied in a new design but not everyone has those.

As for the leakage, yes, you have to replace the silicone bead. That is just a pita to have to do. More importantly, I don't always recognize the leak until a tire is going flat. I just think that is too dangerous for racing so I take great precautions to check, double check pressures, etc. Still, I now have doubt in the back of my mind with these wheels and that's not good for focusing on racing, either.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

If you're not worried about the last nth second in racing (e.g., you're in DE or on the street), then I agree it is hard to beat the Speedlines. The originals also had center-cracking issues which were remedied in a new design but not everyone has those.
Looks incredible!!!

You guys did an A-1 job and that stuff can be a PITA to work with.

I was told the Speedlines that suffered from the cracking centers were the earlier ones used in 92. You can tell the difference between late and early speedlines if they were never disassembled. The early speedlines had the valves located at the spoke and the later ones had the valve centered between the spokes.

Looking forward to seeing some video of you guys duking it out. Should be easier than the turbos now that you don't have the lag to worry about. BTW do these cars have the same 20-100 LSD as the turbos or did they come with teh 40/40? I would assume the 20-100 is tough on turn in? Might we see you at an autocross this year just for the fun of it?

Earlier speedlines vs later pics.
Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Turning in from about 170kmhr.....nothing sweeter.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was told the Speedlines that suffered from the cracking centers were the earlier ones used in 92. You can tell the difference between late and early speedlines if they were never disassembled. The early speedlines had the valves located at the spoke and the later ones had the valve centered between the spokes.
The Speedline on the first pic ist the Speedline from the 965 turbo S Lightweight!
That Speedlines have a Magnesium Center in polished finish!

Greetings Christian

P.S: 40/40 diff only was option for the normal 964 C2! Turbo, RS, etc. 20/100!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by -CD-
The Speedline on the first pic ist the Speedline from the 965 turbo S Lightweight!
That Speedlines have a Magnesium Center in polished finish!

Greetings Christian

P.S: 40/40 diff only was option for the normal 964 C2! Turbo, RS, etc. 20/100!

The 92 lightweight and turbo S's came with the polished centers. They could also be had at an additional $350+ charge to the stock 3.6's. The centers are the same castings and use a high silicon Magnesium Alloy aluminum. The only difference is the centers are polished vs painted.

I would think on a track car the 40/40 would be the better unit.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

The 90-93 cups used both 40/40 and 20/100 depending on the exact year of the series. So in PCA, you can run either setup.

Speedline added an extra reinforcement rib on the back to prevent cracking. If Charlie can take a pict of the back of his wheels, he has one of each.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 PM
smith737
5th Gear

New to this site and looking forward to going through all these forums.
Couldnt help put my 2 cents worth and show off my 964 from "down under", in Australia.
Its a special order factory colour, cassis red metalic, and is the only 964 of this colour in Aust.
I have added 18" BBS rims, bilstein PSS9 suspension and recently completed a crank up rebuild with enlarged and ported heads with race cams and sports cat back exhaust. About 330hp.
Hope it meets the criteria of this thread!!
Mike
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Might we see you at an autocross this year just for the fun of it?
Yes, my current plan is to do the autocross with NNJR on 4/22. I might do 4/29 but that's the day after the Lime Rock race so we'll see if it is time to relax or do more driving! At least the car will already be in the trailer...
Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Porsche Doc
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Here is one

How about this 90 C4 RSR?

Last edited by Porsche Doc; 11-02-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. That's interesting information for me because I have a set of Speedlines that came with my car and they have the valve stem centered between the spokes.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, since Cobalt has been waiting patiently, I put my car back together and pulled it out of the garage today. I submit for consideration my '92 Cup:

That is really a beautiful job. Looks great! I think this one gets my vote.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:28 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I love it.

Originally Posted by smith737
New to this site and looking forward to going through all these forums.
Couldnt help put my 2 cents worth and show off my 964 from "down under", in Australia.
Its a special order factory colour, cassis red metalic, and is the only 964 of this colour in Aust.
I have added 18" BBS rims, bilstein PSS9 suspension and recently completed a crank up rebuild with enlarged and ported heads with race cams and sports cat back exhaust. About 330hp.
Hope it meets the criteria of this thread!!
Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

some seriously lovely 964s

Quick Reply: Who has the most beautiful 964 on here??