Sponsored by:

CV joint disassembly tips please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
The only thing that makes me hesitate is that although there are useful pics in this thread, it still didn't make it obvious to me quite what I should be removing.
This might help. On the diagram below, the "easy" end to remove is the transmission end. If you remove the 6 Allen head bolts it just pops off of the tranny. Then you have exactly what Jason shows above in his first picture. That's when the wheel puller comes into play.

If you remove the inner CV joint (the transmission side joint) you can then remove the outer boot by sliding it back over the shaft. That way you never have to remove the hard nut from the wheel end of the shaft.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. That does help - although it sounds suspiciously too easy!

I'll look into finding a puller. From the pic above it looks like this kind of thing would do it?

http://www.shacktools.com/sykespicka...b368c8ff86fb81
Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Thanks. That does help - although it sounds suspiciously too easy!

I'll look into finding a puller. From the pic above it looks like this kind of thing would do it?

http://www.shacktools.com/sykespicka...b368c8ff86fb81
The hard part comes if you can't remove the inner CV joint. I had that problem with one side of my car. One side was really easy, but the other was so crazy tight I had to remove the wheel nut and get the whole half shaft off. I then put it in a vice and was able to get a better angle on it and threw some heat on it for good measure.

The shacktools link didn't work for me. I got an error so I can't vouch for the tool. What I used was the 5" version of this.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - just to check :

I thought the inner CV joint was what Jason showed in his pic (and what I'd have at the end of the drive shaft when I've unbolted the 6 allen bolts?). So it's the puller that should remove the inner CV joint?

I've just found exactly the puller set you linked to in the UK - so will order them. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

OK - just to check :

I thought the inner CV joint was what Jason showed in his pic (and what I'd have at the end of the drive shaft when I've unbolted the 6 allen bolts?). So it's the puller that should remove the inner CV joint?
Correct. The inner side connects to the transmission, the outer to the hub...

You are working on the rear end, right? I just noticed you have a C4 and want to make sure you are not working on the fronts. I have a C2, so was not thinking about the existence of front boots.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Yes, the rear.

So - unbolt 6 allen bolts. Remove the circlip. Use the puller to (hopefully) pull off the inner cv joint. Remove old gaiters. Replace with new gaiters, and put it all back together.

I've ordered the pullers (which carry a surprising delivery charge) - will order two gaiters tomorrow (might even splash out and do all 4 if I'm under there anyway).

Thanks for the help. Let's hope I don't have to post again half way through!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:16 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Yes, the rear.

So - unbolt 6 allen bolts. Remove the circlip. Use the puller to (hopefully) pull off the inner cv joint. Remove old gaiters. Replace with new gaiters, and put it all back together.

I've ordered the pullers (which carry a surprising delivery charge) - will order two gaiters tomorrow (might even splash out and do all 4 if I'm under there anyway).

Thanks for the help. Let's hope I don't have to post again half way through!
Good luck! You can do it. Be sure and get some CV grease and the boot clamps.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Ya know, it's almost as though we should start off any one of these not-so-obvious threads with a PET diagram. Things tend to get so much clearer for me with a diagram, or photo. Nice sanity check, there, JD. (Even I see the light, now. "oh, 'golden cap' = #10!... 'cir clip' = # 9!"... Grease... #15! lol)

I really like/grok exploded views (unless they're of the car in front of me.)
Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 AM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Had to replace a boot at the track two weeks ago. Grease flinging on exhaust = black smoke = black flag.

Had a race mechanic do the job in 20 minutes on site. He used good quality wire zip ties. Larger tie on the big end of the boot. He works exclusively on 911 race cars - mostly cup cars. He said the zip tie was the only way to go and has never had a problem. You aren't trying to get an air tight seal.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well, I ordered my gaiters (and clamps) today (was lazy and only ordered two). Once they turn up (with the puller) I'll give it a go.

I don't think I'll manage 20 minutes though - it's likely to take me that long to get the car jacked up properly!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Ya know, it's almost as though we should start off any one of these not-so-obvious threads with a PET diagram. Things tend to get so much clearer for me with a diagram, or photo. Nice sanity check, there, JD. (Even I see the light, now. "oh, 'golden cap' = #10!... 'cir clip' = # 9!"... Grease... #15! lol)

I really like/grok exploded views (unless they're of the car in front of me.)
I agree Lonnie. I typically start my DIY jobs by looking at the PET and visualizing what I am about to get myself into. Of course the ability to visualize something in the future is pretty much all I have a prefrontal cortex for. I grok my prefrontal cortex.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
I grok my prefrontal cortex.
<--------[and me -- still 'playing in the bone pile', like ape-guy at the beginning of "2001"]

[flip]... [toss, flip]... [flip].... (!)
Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that it was a 20 minute job. It will take me 2 hours to do the other side at home.

It is amazing to watch an pro mechanic working on-track. They only know how to work at one speed - all out! No time to stop and scratch heads. I didn't need to be back on the track for another two hours but they worked like every minute was a lost lap!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
DaveK
Race Car

My gaiters turned up today. One thing that surprised me - I've seen the comments about getting the gold cap off without damaging it, but the box my gaiters are in also contains gold cap, two retaining clips and a new circlip.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
myturbo36
Instructor

Does anyone have an old CV joint that they would be willing to send me…condition does not matter, just want to use it to verify spline and ID before purchasing a set. Details in this thread:

I would be happy to pay you for your time and shipping

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/429142-964-rear-inner-cv-joints.html

Quick Reply: CV joint disassembly tips please!