Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 track junkees - where do you mount your fire bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:11 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts
Question 964 track junkees - where do you mount your fire bottle?

Hi guys,
I am ready to run the aluminum lines for the fire system and am amazed how much less room there is in these cars than my 65 911! All those wires, I guess!

I have a 10 pound halon bottle that I mounted transversely in front of the passenger seat in my 65. Well, it won't fit there on my 964!

I'd rather keep the bottle low in the car - otherwise I'd stick it on the rear shelf where the rear seat backs used to be but that's almost shoulder height - but this location might win out overall for space reasons. There is just too little room in the passenger footwell, and no room behind the passenger seat either. Those darn wire harnesses! Hmmmm.

Any of you guys running a fire system? Where did you mount your bottle? My apparent choices are: running it in a parallel direction to the passenger's legs in the passenger footwell, against the tranny tunnel on the floor - this makes it hard for a passenger to sit comfortably. Or, rear shelf mounted transversely - definitely the easiest way to mount, or rearrange the wiring harness behind the passenger seat and stick it tightly back there.

Other ideas?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:44 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen a fairely large bottle mounted between the location of the rear fold down seats, essentially over the gearbox I believe. So it was facing forward.
I too would want that bulk weight down as low as possible, especially on the track.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would not fit in the rear footwell (on the floor), so mine is mounted on the shelf behind the driver. My mechanic put it there because he wanted me to see it easy (as a reminder to check the pressure, turn it on etc.). I understand his point but had been thinking of leaving that space open for the cool suit ice chest. I guess the ice chest will go on the passenger floor or rear passenger shelf when it gets installed.

What system do you have that requires aluminum lines? My AFFF system uses PTFE flexible lines for the 3 nozzles.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine is mounted in the front of the car, under the bonnet.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Mine is mounted in the front of the car, under the bonnet.
I want to keep mine in the "caged zone," just in case! My cage is confined to the passenger compartment only... so I want to keep it tucked in with me!

Quick Reply: 964 track junkees - where do you mount your fire bottle?