Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Motor - Repair/Exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 10:53 AM
ChrisD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Motor - Repair/Exchange?

I need to replace my starter motor, it's turning but not always engaging. Was wondering if anyone has any experience of gettig them reconditioned versus an exchange unit?

Any thoughts?

Regards
Old 11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Hi there. There is no doubt a "brand new" one is best but remember that it is not easy to deduce always what you are getting.

Also to bear in mind that the quality of the properly reconditioned units (like "Service Exchange" from Bosch) is excellent - it is just that there are a fair few "cowboy" outfits out there who just repair them and clean the cases up...

I went for a proper Bosch one on mine and I think it was about £150. I seem to remember it being a bit of a tart to fit, too, because it is a tricky spanner job to get to the toppermost bolt. With this in mind I would spend as much as possible on the best unit you can find!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 01:48 PM
ChrisD
Instructor

Julian

Thanks for that. I think I will check out the Bosch stockists in Norwich and see if they have recon units for xchange. I know of a place that might be able to do the refurb, they did an alternator for my Healey, but don't know how long/how much it would be for this starter.

As far as removal etc I have read the threads, so I am looking forward to a little bit of effing and blinding when I get to remove it!!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi

I had mine refurbed by my mechanic, so i trust him, not an exchange unit. It was the brushes I think, not a problem and that was 2 years ago.

Cheers
Rob

Quick Reply: Starter Motor - Repair/Exchange?