Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it Dualmass is in the trash!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Well, I finally did it Dualmass is in the trash!!

I finally converted to the RS flywheel kit. All of the horror stories and tragic tranny noises etc... NOTTA!! Well all I have to say is..... It was the best improvement I've made on the car yet. I had replaced the clutch twice since purchasing my 964 used back in August of 1998. I admit, I was almost convenced to just buy another DMFW once the old one started to come apart. Needless to say I'm in love with car allover again. Not only did it have better light to light zoom, the accelleration at highway speed gives a totally new meaning to the word power. Aside from all of that there are vertually no side affects, well not in my car anyway. No tranny noises, No weird idling or misterous engine shutdown at stoplights, It's the greatest. Headers/exhaust, Hotwire, Autothority Chip, and that's just the begining.

Duncan
Old 10-30-2004, 02:26 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts

Where did you buy the kit from?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I bought it all seperately:
I got the chip and hotwire Mass Air Flow from Autothority.com $1325.00
I got the K&nair filter kit at a swap meet in Charlotte NC. $15.00
I got the B&B headers w/heat exchangers off Ebay last year, $250.00
and just bought a new stainless muffin from Fabspeed.com. $475.00
Their website sold me, you should check it out at www.fabspeed.com, they have live videos.
The RS flywheel and clutch conversion came from benzbin.com $1299.00
they had the best price.
The clutch pedal never felt smoother and more controlable.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:25 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

I just finished having the RS flywheel installed in my C2 and have experienced the same performance increases. I do, however, experience stalling when the A/C is on (very infrequent). I would still do this again if I had the opportunity.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Duncan,

I have the Autothority MAF and chip with the primary by-pass. Did you do the LWF at the same time as the MAF, or did you already have the MAF installed? If the MAF was installed, how big a difference was the LWF vs. the MAF after you first got that? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunasso
I bought it all seperately:
The RS flywheel and clutch conversion .... $1299.00
they had the best price.
The clutch pedal never felt smoother and more controlable.
Hey Duncan.>!

Congrats!!!!! I also installed the the conversion in my 993 - and it's terrific! When I work on Jen's 964 this winter (I have a few things I want to do to it), I'll also probably trash the DM setup. Absolutely agree with you - the noise I was told to expect was barely perceptible -0 even with my "miracle ear" on it's highest setting

A couple of FYIs.. I have Steve Weiner's chip in my '95 993 - and coupled with the LWF - it feels like a "very different" car altogether....

Also - Paragon Products actually is a few dollars less for a complete kit:

Paragon Products Kit <-link ) which includes:
1 Flywheel 964.102.239.31
1 Pressure Plate 964.116.028.03
1 Clutch Disc 964.116.011.61
1 Ring Gear 964.114.143.31
1 Release Bearing 944.116.080.00
1 Release Bearing Guide 950.116.080.00
1 Pilot Bearing F801-11-303
1 Crankshaft Seal 999.113.426.41
9 Flywheel Bolt 928.102.151.01
9 Pressure Plate Bolt 900.067.020.02

As well - they were running an introductory special for Rennlist Members - which saved even more - but I'm not sure how long they were offering it? If others are considering this upgrade - you may want to check out their pricing and ask Jason or Skip if the Rennlist Special is still in effect???

Best to you - and I couldn't agree more that the LWF conversion is an outstanding upgrade!!!

John D.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Hey guys,
Thanks for all of the replies.
In responce to Jim Evens question, I did not really notice a big difference with the MAF alone. But , I am sure that it is playing an important role in the overall performance gain that I have experienced so far.
This has been a project that has been creeping along for years, and in my personal opinion the clutch kit has made the most impressive single change in the seat.
I started with the breather(no change just sounded alittle better), then the headers w/modified stock primary and illiminated the secondary (could tell there was a change mostly in mid to upper RPM's and it was alot louder, Then the MAF ( I knew it was better even though I didn't notice much), then the chip (this pulled it all together and made noticeble improvement), and finally the clutch kit (By in large the most awsome bolt improvement I,ve made so far). Also I've installed a Fabspeed dual outlet muffin w/one side blocked off for now (until I get my kit). The new muffin improved the sound; it's no-longer trashy sounding, it purrs at idle and roars when gassed.

Thanks hope that somes it up,
Duncan
Old 10-31-2004, 11:22 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Duncan,
Is there any way you could snap a picture of the wiring harness for me? I've got one that was installed by the PO and when I called Autothority they told me that they have a new and improved wiring harness, but didn't say anything more. I just wanted to see what it looks like.
Brian
Old 11-01-2004, 03:57 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Brian,
The micro performance chip plugged right into the ecu after removing the drivers seat.
I don't know of any wiring harness that needed to be replaced, are you sure we are talking about the same thing. The MAF is the part between the air filter and the intake plentum, it measures the flow of air into the engine. I replaced my vein type MAF with an after market Hot Wire MAF. When I received it there was no wiring harness in the box. It just plugged right in. I think there may have been an addapter connecter, but no wiring harness. The only wiring harness nedded was the one that origonally came with the car. No wiring no soldering; it just plugged in.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:08 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, there's a wiring harness that attached from the MAF itself to a plug near your Idle Stabilizer Valve. That must be the difference. It sounds like yours is just a plug and play deal. Mine's a bit less finished I guess. Thanks.
Brian
Old 11-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks again guys for the possitive responces. I'm glad so many took an interset in my thread. I would like to make a revision to my earlier statement on the price of my MAF/chip upgrade. It was 2135.00 not 1325.00. Sorry about the slippup at least the 5 was in the right place. Thanks for not giving me a rash over it.
Duncan
Old 11-02-2004, 12:58 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunasso
Sorry about the slippup at least the 5 was in the right place.
Pat Sajack on the Price is Right would have sent you home empty handed!

EDIT: Oops, make that Bob Barker!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

You know what's funny? I watch that show afew times aweek.

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it Dualmass is in the trash!!