Sponsored by:

Valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did anyone purchase

hello, did anyone end up purchasing the lower covers and if so how was the quality and condition of covers, thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Patrick L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the aftermarket lower covers from MS Road & Race. They look nice but haven't install them so can't tell if they can stop the leak. I guess they can. Will let you know when they are installed around late February.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:28 PM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't and the reason is that the leak was not serious, a drop in a month on the garage floor. I also figure out that I have to change the gasket anyway when I had my service last week, I had the valave adjusted. I put on a new set of locite red colour gasket and hope this time it will work better. I shall report back if I find any thing!
Get a good clean up and put on a new red locite gasket would be my suggestion before buyying a new set of covers, they are quite expensive! Having said that I like the anodized RED color on them though!!! May be next time....My project now is to have the Fan powder coated in RED like John has done.

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 01-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Christer
Race Car

My cover arrived from Germany months ago but I have been waiting to go to 9M since so it is currently in my cupboard....
Old 01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
robbed666
Racer

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The 1965-89 911 & 930 cam covers are flat and can be sanded or machined, whereas the 964 covers are cast with a groove to receive their profiled rubber seal. Leaks are usually caused by magnesium corrosion lifting the coating within this groove, and thus without CNC milling around the groove there is no way to reclaim a u/s cover..
How about cleaning out the corroded groove and using an adhesive to bond the rubber seal to the cover there are many "gap filling" metal to rubber adhesive out there.We use them all the time on seals to repair galvanic corrosion on ali, magnesium, steel, cast iron, brass, bronze etc. The equipment we use them on has a much harsher life than Porsche 'cam covers', and leaks are not an option.

Rob

Quick Reply: Valve cover