Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 964 owner - here come the questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004 | 02:40 AM
phayze one
Intermediate

Default New 964 owner - here come the questions

I just picked up a '90 C2 this weekend, and drove it 1100 miles home to Los Angeles. Car runs great and the previous owner had all records - it was his barely-driven-6th-911-in-the-garage type cars. This isn't my first Porsche, but it is the first 911 and I have a question... I searched but it's one of those things where I wouldn't know if I'm having the same problem or not. Don't hurt me.

Anyway!! 1st question - Occasionally when I try to start, it won't, and then when I release the key there's a loud and unsettling DUNK noise that sounds like it's coming from the front left side. I've always been able to start it the 2nd try, so it's mostly the noise that worries me. Anyone know what's going on, or is it just "old car noises" happening?

2nd question - is ~$550 good/normal/too high for a spring/shock install?

3rd question - anyone know if GHL mufflers pass smog in CA? [ok so I didn't search on this one]

Any help is appreciated. I've been lurking here for a while and I feel like I'm in good hands.

Oh, and here it is!
Old 10-11-2004 | 02:44 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car! More pics please!
P.S. You're forgiven this time for not searching due to your proficiency with the use of assorted smilies!

Brian
Old 10-11-2004 | 02:52 AM
phayze one
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Beautiful car! More pics please!
P.S. You're forgiven this time for not searching due to your proficiency with the use of assorted smilies!

Brian
You know, I've been reluctant to take pictures yet as the wheel gap is killing me. I am a pic *****, so the pics will definitely runneth over once the wheels and new suspension are put in. But thanks!

And yes, I come from another car board that crucifies non-searchers so I knew what was coming to me.
Old 10-11-2004 | 03:15 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Welcome...... I had that problem before a few years back. It tend to be the starter, worn out, and the 'bang' sound was the starter wheel hitting the flywheel at last. Installed a rebuilt starter myself. Still ok now, never had problems again.

LA ,hmmm. I am sometimes in Dana Point, not that much 964's in that area I notice, a lot of the 993's around there.
Old 10-11-2004 | 09:43 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Cool

Welcome!!!! And congratulations on your new Porsche!! Please post more photos even at that height. We want to see more!

I can only address (1) Sounds like the starter. But, before you replace the starter check the battery cables (at both ends). I had a similar problem followed by the car not wanting to start. After replacing the starter with a new unit and still no start I found the culprit to be a broken terminal (or terminal held by a few threads of wire) on the starter side. Let me find the starter thread so you have it as a reference if you decide to tackle on replacing the starter yourself. Not a difficult task it just takes patience and one of the written procedures found in this forum or from a member's site.

Here you go: Car will not start
Old 10-11-2004 | 10:13 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Same thing happened to me: Starter. Be sure to replace it quickly, before it chews up the flywheel.
Old 10-11-2004 | 11:07 AM
NotTwinTurboYet
Racer

Hi and welcome!

Please post more pics!!! You can make more pics of your car now, because after, I know you'll be happy to say "that was before, and this is now "
That's what I made for my car, and I'm happy to come regularly to the old pics, that recalls me all the good job done

Price seems to be very good for a dampers/springs kit.

A+
Old 10-11-2004 | 01:07 PM
phayze one
Intermediate

Ahh okay. Does anyone have the part # for the starter? I'm looking on paragon and I only see them for the '65-'89... thanks!

And here are a couple more...

The two kids hiding in the corner

Aaand one more
Old 10-11-2004 | 02:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Love the color! Where did you find that one?!

If you've got a catalytic converter installed, you should pass smog just fine.
Old 10-11-2004 | 03:42 PM
MadHungarian
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looking good! But nothing's easy. It appears (to me) that there are two starter numbers. Seemingly 911 604 102 01 for early '90s and 911 604 104 for later cars, if I am reading the info correctly. Over to those who know more than I. Sorry.
Old 10-11-2004 | 03:58 PM
phayze one
Intermediate

After pinpointing the problem to the starter, I did my search on that and came up with a lot of good threads. I will check out the battery cables first. If that's not it, then I look forward to searching for that wonderful allen bolt [nut?] at the top of the starter.
Old 10-11-2004 | 04:34 PM
ian c - u.k

993 starters fit too
Old 10-11-2004 | 05:03 PM
Johan K
Instructor

Nice car!! But you must promise to have it lowered
Old 10-11-2004 | 05:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Believe it or not the best price I got was from the Porsche dealer... Try Sunset Porsche or outside a Porsche dealer the next best price was from Vertex Auto...

Two possible part numbers:

One with what I can describe best as an exposed shaft: 964 604 104 00 (used from 90 on)

One with covered shaft (89-90): 911 604 102 01

I will try to post photos of the two...
Old 10-11-2004 | 05:20 PM
phayze one
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Johan K
Nice car!! But you must promise to have it lowered
Haha... promise! You have no idea how hard it was to stay tame on those twisties through the mountains coming from Colorado. Bilsteins are on the way, and the place I ordered springs from [more power racing] called me today saying they were back ordered for another week. I cried "blasphemy" and said I couldn't take stock ride height any longer, demanding something be done. Just kidding... I just said I really needed them by this Friday and they said they'd pick them up from the distributor themselves and ship out tomorrow. Good people!

Quick Reply: New 964 owner - here come the questions