Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe Warm Start Problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 05:14 PM
the 964 KID
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Severe Warm Start Problem - HELP!

Hey guys,

a few days ago I stopped off at work, after having driven the car a good 30 minutes or so. The car was off for about 25 minutes, and when I went to restart the engine, the car idled extremely low and then stalled out. I restarted it, but it took me a good 10 minute of giving it a little gas before it would idle at a normal level. Since then I've driven the car several times, and it only has this issue whenever the car is turned on while the engine is still hot, if i let it cool down fully there's no problem. It seems to have something to do with the fuel line getting depressurized, and I'm suspecting the fuel pump (faulty check vavle?) - but what i dont know is what exactly causes the pressure to come back and behave normally. Any ideas?? Is there something else I should look for? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 02:51 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

You might want to check the ISV as it's the most common cause for idle problems. Cleaning it usually cures the problem (search ISV cleaning for instructions), if not then at least you've eliminated one possibility. If you suspect it's the fuel delivery system, then first thing you should check is the DME relay. IF you have a spare, which all of us should, swap it out and see if it is the culprit. Give those suggestions a try and if they don't solve your problem post back. I'm pretty sure others with more knowledge will chime in and help you.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:15 PM
the 964 KID
Advanced

Thanks Peter, i put a new DME relay in earlier this year, so I'm guessing thats not it, but I will give the ISV a look. Whatever it is its affected by the engine temp. I'll report back what the problem ends up being.

Ken.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 PM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,
I had similar problems and cleaned out my ISV and it cleared right up. Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Farp
Instructor

May also be worht checking the TSB referred to here has been carried out on your car. It applies to 89/90 cars and despite the fact mine had had a complete engine rebuild by a Porsche main dealer, they still didn't carry out this work. Relatively easy to check and it solved my problem (similar symptoms to yours).

Mike

Quick Reply: Severe Warm Start Problem - HELP!