Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some progress and some more questions:
Progress:
-Checked power supply (Or, Pin 1): Read 0Volts w/ Ign. off, 12.5V w/ Ign. On
-Checked the stop light switch (Bk/Re, Pin 8): Read 0V w/out brake pressed, 11.5V w/ brake pressed
-Checked clutch switch (Br/Grn, Pin 14): 0V w/out pedal pressed, 4.5V w/ pedal pressed
-Checked ground (Br, Pin 12): Read 0 Ohms at ground.
So all seems to be well so far.
Questions:
-How do I test the column switches?
-Where do I test the throttle position signal?
-Can you test ohms with power applied to the circuit? It says in the little booklet that you shouldn't test a circuit with power applied. Is this just because I have a piece-o'-crap, $20 Radio Shack multimeter? Just wondering.
Thanks again for all your assistance.
Brian
Old 10-07-2004, 12:34 AM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Brian,

I have had 2 problems with the Cruise Control on my '90 C2 which also had not worked since I bought the car. The first and most basic was that the signal cable was disconnected from its plugin on the connector bulkhead at the left front of the engine (behind the hot air blower fan). I plugged it back in and it worked like a charm. Recently it quit again and I found that the linkage (shown in a picture provided by jrb964 above) had come off at one end. I snapped it back on and it was 100%. If it's not one of these simple fixes I concur with springer3: Step by step analysis is the only way to go.

Good luck

Jim
'90 C2
Old 10-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I fixed once a cruise control in a 964 cab, it was the motor which pulls the throttle valve on speed. He is installed in the left side of the engine bay behind the intake manifolt. If you losen the intake manifolt, you can remove the thing.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:09 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Jim,
I think I found the connectors you are talking about behind the blower, but which is the cruise? I saw three of the same type that attach to the ISV (the rectangular ones with the spring loaded clip). All were plugged in. Am I looking in the right spot?

And which linkages are you speaking of? I see the picture from jrb964's post but I'm having trouble figuring out which part you mean.

In related news, I just bought a Fluke multimeter to replace the POC Radio Shack one I was using so now I'm hoping to be able to better and more systematically troubleshoot the electrical side.
Brian
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Diagnosing Cruise Control Failure