Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Muffler "Cup" Pipe, Chip and Cone Filter Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pesty,

The Fabspeed exhausts, as Tony said, are available from Design 911 in Barking (www.design911.co.uk). It is also available as a single outlet (they supply a piece to seal the unused left hand outlet - which is also supplied if you buy the dual outlet variety) at a slightly lower price. I have the dual outlet fitted on my car although I didn't have the issue with the bumper valance since I've got turbo arches and the wider valance already had the dual cutouts.

The Fabspeed exhaust sounds great although I guarantee you WILL have problems with some track days - it's not quiet by anybody's standards!!

Regards

Dave
Old 12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
jouy bagodonuts - looking back in the archives, I see that you did this after being unhappy with your drilled airbox. I think you did the cat bypass, not high flow cat.....Does it affect emissions? How does it sound compared to stock?? I'd like a "balanced" upgrade so a package looks tempting rather than random bits and pieces but I'd also like a little more exhaust note -- not boy-racer, just something so people give the car the respect it deserves!
I was taking a "one change at a time" approach to my mods and also looking to save money. After each change, I would compare 0-60 times with my G-Tech to see if there was some measurable difference and then I'd change something else and take some more readings. If I recall correctly, I made changes in the following order:

- Holey aribox (Good sound.)
- Cup pipe/primary bypass (more roar but a little "sloppy" sounding, IMHO. Slower than orginal exhaust.)
- Chip (hmmm, no noticeable difference)
- Secondary bypass, refitted primary muffler (More refined roar but a little louder. Quicker)
- Cone intake (No real sound difference. Quicker)
- Cat bypass (Sounds like I added a sub woofer to my engine note--more boom. Never got around to the 0-60 test but I have no doubt it is the quickest combination.)

Car dyno tested at 228.5 hp and 224.0 lb ft at the wheels. Using the standard transmission loss of 15%, this translates to 269 hhp and 264 lb ft at the flywheel. Sorry, I don't know the stock numbers for my car.

As for emissions, yes, the car will not pass emissions unless you refit the cat. And as for piece mealing the kit together, I believe you can shop for parts separately and save a couple hundred bucks vs buying the complete kit from EVO.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

thanks guys.
Is it an easy job to replace thiese exhausts? I am an amature but always done things like this on other cars.
Only issue is access. not having jackked mine up yet so cant tell how much room there is.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesty
thanks guys.
Is it an easy job to replace thiese exhausts? I am an amature but always done things like this on other cars.
Only issue is access. not having jackked mine up yet so cant tell how much room there is.
I'm no mechanic but swapping the secondary silencer for a bypass 'g-pipe' only took me an hour, and part of that was trying to find a replacement bolt for the one i snapped whilst trying to take it off (impatience with WD40). I took pics of each stage, if you're interested.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:21 PM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
I was taking a "one change at a time" approach to my mods and also looking to save money. After each change, I would compare 0-60 times with my G-Tech to see if there was some measurable difference and then I'd change something else and take some more readings. If I recall correctly, I made changes in the following order:

- Holey aribox (Good sound.)
- Cup pipe/primary bypass (more roar but a little "sloppy" sounding, IMHO. Slower than orginal exhaust.)
- Chip (hmmm, no noticeable difference)
- Secondary bypass, refitted primary muffler (More refined roar but a little louder. Quicker)
- Cone intake (No real sound difference. Quicker)
- Cat bypass (Sounds like I added a sub woofer to my engine note--more boom. Never got around to the 0-60 test but I have no doubt it is the quickest combination.)

Car dyno tested at 228.5 hp and 224.0 lb ft at the wheels. Using the standard transmission loss of 15%, this translates to 269 hhp and 264 lb ft at the flywheel. Sorry, I don't know the stock numbers for my car.

As for emissions, yes, the car will not pass emissions unless you refit the cat. And as for piece mealing the kit together, I believe you can shop for parts separately and save a couple hundred bucks vs buying the complete kit from EVO.
Very interesting Joey,So a cone filter,cat bypass and "G" pipe are the only mods that actually work on a 964 without spending big money.
what cone filter do you use? is the K&N cone anygood?
Paul
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

dove - I think earlier in this thread joey bagadonuts states that he installed the EVO intake filter, from www.evoms.com.

Marc
Old 12-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Greg-L - I'd be interested in seeing those pics. if you could post them (or e-mail them to me at porsche@mdshaw.com -- I've a "fat pipe" if the pictures are large).

Thanks...Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 12-20-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:51 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dove
Very interesting Joey,So a cone filter,cat bypass and "G" pipe are the only mods that actually work on a 964 without spending big money.
what cone filter do you use? is the K&N cone anygood?
Thanks, Marc, for filling in.

Paul,
There was only one test that I didn't conduct which might prove of value: cone, cat bypass and g-pipe WITH or WITHOUT the GIAC chip. The nice performance gains might simply be a result of the exhaust and intake changes (as you suggest) OR the software might actually work to optimize the setup. Some time next year I'll go back to the stock chip and see if there's a difference--I'll let you know.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 12-21-2004 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:39 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Dove and Marc,

The mods that you talk about are in fact simple and very effective but I think they aren’t so cheap (at least for my budget). I paid about 700 pounds for the Fabspeed twin silencer; 250 for the race catalyst bypass and 200 for the power flow frame + k&n filter. The truth is: as anyone here has said it - these mods will give you a “new” car.
In what concerns to the extra rear bumper section (the twin silencer is much more pretty – go for it!) I think you can choose for the manual cut of the bumper. In the Fabspeed homepage they have a video with the right instructions to do it. If it is well done, you won’t notice at all any difference between both holes, and you will save a consider amount of money. It was what I did and I don’t regret, although - I must confess- the black colour helped.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Joey - didn't mean to speak for you (sorry)....

Marc
Old 12-20-2004, 07:16 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

You can't do that. The guy is dead
Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg_L
I'm no mechanic but swapping the secondary silencer for a bypass 'g-pipe' only took me an hour, and part of that was trying to find a replacement bolt for the one i snapped whilst trying to take it off (impatience with WD40). I took pics of each stage, if you're interested.
Hi Greg

Yes be very interested indeed. Any help with this car greatly appreciated.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:42 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Joey - didn't mean to speak for you (sorry)....
Oh god, I hope I don't seem that touchy. I was actually very appreciative of your willingness to jump in and get Paul the info. I think I'll have to use more smiley's in the future (see above).
Old 12-21-2004, 01:05 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 964 hp gains with modifications

I've had 3 dynos done on my 964. All dyno runs were done on a Mustang Dynamometer located in Lancaster, California approx 2346 ft above sea level.

Results are in wheels horsepower:

Run #1- Factory Exhaust, drilled airbox, Weltmeister Chip
HP=206.5 @6000 RPM
Torque=191.2 @5250 RPM
1.4 Mile= 14.567

Run #2-Factory Header w/ Fabspeed Dual Outlet Muffler, Autothority MAFS w/ Custom Program
HP=231.2 @6000 RPM
Torque=211.3 @5500 RPM

Run #3- Same mods as Run #2
HP=234.4 @6250 RPM
Torque= 217.3 @5000 RPM

Recently I've decided to try a different setup, Now I have;

1. B&B Headers w/ B&B muffler single outlet
2. Cone intake w/ factory MAFS (barn door system)
3. Custom ECU Chip
and
4. Go For A Drive

Results: Awesome !!!! Very noticeable power increase vs Run 2 & 3 mods. Car is alot more responsive, alot more pull on acceleration, and more power and wider rpm powerband.

I can't wait to have it dynoed with this setup!!!!

BTW, I decided to test out a chip from Autothority to compare with the Custom ECU Chip. All I can say is that I took the car around the block and took out the Autothority chip from the ECU and packaged it back in the box.

Also with this latest modification, I had a friend of mine test the car to find out if it would pass California smog, low and behold it did.

Will provide updates when I find time to dyno it.

GP
Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark & Pesty - i'll post my instructions and pics of the g-pipe install from home later

Quick Reply: Primary Muffler "Cup" Pipe, Chip and Cone Filter Installed!!