New Wheel Dilemmna

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:02 AM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheel Dilemmna

Guys,
I am tussling with the idea of new wheels, currently on D90s with Contis, to help with rear end grip.

I have the option to offer on some genuine RS cups but they are very expensive, my question is this-would I see any difference in handling between 17" Porsche Cup 1s, Porsche RS Cups and a good aftermarket Cup wheel such as Mille Miglia.

I don't know the relative weights of these wheels nor do I know the % that the wheel contributes to the overall unsprung weight of the front and rear suspension.

I have had Mille Miglia Cups before and been quite happy with them,
Thanks,
Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

Are you saying your car is tail happy or tends towards oversteer? That would be unusual for a stock C2, so could you possibly share some details?

- Tires: How old, sizes, make/model, tyre pressures? Front and rear.
- Shocks/springs: Stock?
- Sway bars: Stock?
- Aligment/corner balance: When was the last time performed? Stock specs?
- Any additional chassis modfications?
- Mileage
- Description of problem

More info would provide a better starting point for such a dialog.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Christer
Race Car

I guess Kevin is probably talking about traction, and of course there is more of that with 255's in the back instead of 225's. Kevin, how much is a lot when talking about the magnesium cups? I would recommend OEM cups available from places such as Porscheshop etc. for around £500 new instead of the heavy Miglias or the very expensive magnesium cups....
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM
asbi
Racer

Guys,
My problem is a lack of traction when accelerating out of bends, the rear is much more likely to come around than on my previous car.

Previous car had 205fr, 255rear Mich Pilot Sports on 17" cups. Bone stock car although rear springs had sagged approx 1" so that it looked lowered, 90k miles.

Present car has 205fr, 225rear ContiSports on 16" D90s, tyres are fairly new. Mileage 60k totally bone stock-even got the flags! Suspension ride hieght is as it left the factory, alignment is a little out but not significantly-fr camber a little too -ve, rear toe in a little excessive-both should stabilise the car I think.

Is there a significant weight difference between Porsche Cups and the Mille's?

The guy selling the RS Mags wants minimum 2000Euro + refurb costs + shipping. I have been quoted 160Euro per wheel for refurb + 200Euro shipping. Almost 3000Euro + tyres is a little too rich for me!

Thanks,
Kevin.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Christer
Race Car

if he wants 3000euros, then i would buy something else - and not magnesium. The differenc ein price for the OEM cups and the miglias is not large enough to think about...
Old 09-22-2004, 01:08 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

And what about tyre pressures? For 16's, the Factory recommendation is 36f/44r (2.5 and 3.0 bars respectively). Are you using "N" tyres?

Sometimes pressure adjustments may be all that's necessary to get the handling right.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:31 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by asbi
Guys,
I am tussling with the idea of new wheels, currently on D90s with Contis, to help with rear end grip.
I'm suprised at this problem with rear end grip. On stock suspension my C2 was a manic understeerer.

I have the option to offer on some genuine RS cups but they are very expensive, my question is this-would I see any difference in handling between 17" Porsche Cup 1s, Porsche RS Cups and a good aftermarket Cup wheel such as Mille Miglia.
The RS cups are overpriced for their relative utility; The price based on rarity and the desire to have originality in 964RSs.
I have had Mille Miglia Cups before and been quite happy with them,
Thanks,
Kevin, on stock suspension I would pick wheels from a respected manufacturer that you liked the look of and were happy about the price.

FWIW there are plenty of 996 17ins wheels about which are cheap and unimpeachable quality if you like the looks.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:05 PM
asbi
Racer

Joey,
Tyres are N rated, pressures are 36fr and 44rear, I will have a play with the pressures and see what happens,

Tony,
Thanks for the comments, as you will remember from an earlier post (17" RUF discussion) I have been thinking about this for a while.

I think I am now likely to go for original Porsche Cup 1s, I kind of suspected that the RS pricing was on a "what the market will stand" basis rather than utility-good to get it confirmed.

Still, I will always hanker after John Bs wheels - ex-Cup Car 8s and 10s I think (and very nice)
Cheers,
Kevin
Old 09-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Christer
Race Car

no, they certainly are not 8 and 10, but they look veeeeery good...

Quick Reply: New Wheel Dilemmna