How not to turn a corner

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How not to turn a corner

Excellent day :

I'm driving down the road and want to turn right into a side street. There is a car waiting to pull out into my street (and turn right). I pull into the side street but as I draw level with the other car I find a pedestrian in the road so I stop. 5 seconds later, I feel a jolt - the guy pulling out has pulled out - and has cut the corner. Wonderful.

Damage to my car is minor - the RHS rear bumper corner section is pretty badly scuffed - will be about £100 to get painted. His Jag has a long dent in the rear door.

He's going to find out the cost of repair to his - if it's less than £1000 he says he'll pay himself and pay for mine. Actually seemed like a nice guy. I hope the insurance companies don't get involved - I will deny any fault if they do (I wasn't moving!) - but no doubt the premiums will still go up. Since I'm just in the process of buying a second car - and already have a bike - I don't need 3 premiums to double!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:39 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear this, Dave. Hopefully he really is a nice guy and it all goes as you hope. Insurance is a PITA, but I'm sure I'll be glad one day when I need it to kick in.
Brian
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that Dave. Hope it all gets sorted quickly.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:40 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave

I always get the other persons insurance details in any case, and always report it all to my insurance company as a claim against the other party. If the other person wants to settle out of their own pocket then they can still do that, whilst I have covered my **** with my insurers. Your premiums will not go up if there is no claim against your own policy.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:46 AM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - I was wondering if that was the best thing to do. I will call him today and get his insurance details and let my insurance company know it happened.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:05 AM
Christer
Race Car

Its just to be on the safe side.....he can still settle out of his own pocket if he wants....good luck with that and lets arrange another drive before the end of October. I am in Thailand for 3 weeks after that....
Old 09-21-2004, 08:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Sounds like a good idea - we'll need to catch up by phone at some point. Not this weekend because I'm picking up my second car - although I have heard that several times before so we'll see.....

On the insurance front - I have been trying to tell them all morning someone hit my car - but I haven't got hold of anyone in the claims department yet - even though I've left 2 messages. I'm just glad there isn't serious damage to my car - 'cos I'm getting the impression it wouldn't be dealt with all that quickly!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Oh good. Despite the fact that I wasn't moving at the time, the guy has told his insurance company it was "joint liability". Still - he has said I "stopped suddenly" - which at least proves I wasn't moving so it's hard to believe it was my fault.

However I suppose there is one good thing - since my NCB is not on this policy (I didn't use it on the renewal because keeping it for the other car) I guess I don't lose it.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Even if you don't have any NCB to loose, if you have a claim on your policy, the premium will be increased considerably next year. As you were not movning, you need to ensure that, as per the law, the chap who ran into your "stationary" car takes the blame. Whether you stopped suddenly or not is beside the point. He ran into the back of your car and thus was driving without un-due care & attention.

Andy
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave

Just tell your company your story and reject his. Let them take it up...IF he doesn't chell out...
Old 09-21-2004, 05:31 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

As with Andy above, you should always drive with enough space between you and the vehicle ahead, so if it stops suddenly you don't punt him up the rear.......clearly he didn't, he is therefore at fault........

don't let go, make sure you tell the insurance company he was too close etc..

kevin.

Quick Reply: How not to turn a corner