Sponsored by:

I passed SMOG today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 02:09 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Thanks for the link - I will save that one... it looks promising! Get one and let us know if you pass smog!!!!
Garrett, 2 more years before I need to do this all over again. When is your inspection due?

Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

On my cabrio, not for one more year - but in a couple weeks I am off to the local 76 station to test the "new" coupe!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:12 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
.....the "new" coupe!!!!
Something we should know?

Old 09-15-2004, 03:17 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave R.
Peter,

I don't know how long oxygen sensors last and I don't know if yours needs replacing - you did pass emissions, after all.

Steve Weiner seems to think 60k miles is a reasonable replacement interval, see for example this thread. Others (e.g. Arjan) have a different viewpoint.

I changed out my Osensor because I was curious to see if it would make a difference and was glad I'd done so when I saw the condition of the wiring on the old sensor - insulation was broken on one of the wires and the conductor was corroding through. I've not yet checked for any difference in fuel consumption, and I've been working through other sources of driveability problems (caps & rotors, ignition wires, coils all replaced... ISV & air flow meter yet to be cleaned) so I don't know if the new Osensor is performing better than the old one.

Arjan's suggestion of swapping out the cat is reasonable, but I think here in the states it is illegal to swap in a used cat? Although if swapping in an old cat solves emissions problems who cares... New cat would be expensive.

www.thepartsbin.com sells OEM oxygen sensors for about $110 (complete with rubber grommet bearing a Porsche part number, 928.XX... and protective sheath), that's where I got mine - select it from the parts menu for your specific car, e.g. this link not from the oxygen sensor sub-site. My new Osensor came with a protective sheath over the wires between the sensor and the rubber grommet, just like the old one, and I pulled/pushed the sheath down over the back end of the sensor to prevent water from entering the wire paths into the sensor.

What I ment to say is that in my experience, the GM cars, who have the same Bosch 02 Sensor last for 150.000 till 200.000 miles. We still have 1991 cars for service with the same 02 sensor and cat. We have a very tight smog test overhere, and they pass every year without any problems.

For me, I changed my O2 sensor last year after 100.000 miles because of welding my broken catalytic converter. There is no difference in running character of my engine with the new O2 sensor.

About Steve Weiner......... May be he is right, may be he is not, but I read something about him on the 993 board a while ago that he get's his technical information from a different source. He has no business, somebody from the 993 board traced him with Mapquest and the location sattelite picture. His adress seemd to be ordinairy home in a town, and not a company in Oregon. Sources say that the information he gives to Rennlisters is mostly correct and he does really his best to help people. Nothing bad about him from here.

For me, I have a GM catalog number O2 sensor installed from a Caddilac Catera 3.0 [Opel Omega for Europe], and by just change the wires it works just great.

Quick Reply: I passed SMOG today!!!