Cost of Brake / Clutch Bleed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
RedRS, it is unfortunate that you drained the system when you changed the lines (I assume by lines you simply mean the rubber parts that go to the calipers and not the metal lines). It was not necessary. If you let the reserviour go dry, you probably got air into the ABS system. I would take it to a garage (or dealer) with a hammer and have them flush the system and not try this as a DIY.
The Bosch hammer will do nothing for the brake system in a C2. There are no solenoids for axial and lateral locks like in the C4. The K & L diagnostic lines are not even connected to the ABS controller so the hammer won't even talk to the brake system. Even with a Bosch ABS 2-LED tester I don't think there is anything to activate (Adrian?) and if there is, good luck finding a dealer that has one.
The way to change out a hard line (or any time you plan on cracking open a brake line) is to pump the brake peddle 25-30 times with the car turned off and that will depressurize the system so when you do open a line only a tiny drop or two of fluid will come out.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-08-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The Bosch hammer will do nothing for the brake system in a C2. There are no solenoids for axial and lateral locks like in the C4. The K & L diagnostic lines are not even connected to the ABS controller so the hammer won't even talk to the brake system. Even with a Bosch ABS 2-LED tester I don't think there is anything to activate (Adrian?) and if there is, good luck finding a dealer that has one.
The way to change out a hard line (or any time you plan on cracking open a brake line) is to pump the brake peddle 25-30 times with the car turned off and that will depressurize the system so when you do open a line only a tiny drop or two of fluid will come out.
So Jason, are you saying that I don't have anything left to bleed?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The reason you use a Hammer on a C4's brakes is so that you can bleed the pressure accumulator, valve block and the locking cylinders. These don't exist in an RSA/C2. The C2 & C4 do share a ABS hydraulic control unit but there are no separate bleeding procedures for the unit. If the ABS2 - LED Tester provides a separate procedure for bleeding the control unit its not documented anywhere. (I looked everywhere when I replaced all my hard lines and disconnected the lines going into and out of the hydraulic control unit.)

Quick Reply: Cost of Brake / Clutch Bleed