Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe way to disable an ignition circuit (distributor, coil...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Safe way to disable an ignition circuit (distributor, coil...)

I just looked through the factory wiring diagrams - a definitively safe way to disable an ignition circuit (coil and corresponding distributor and plugs) is to simply disconnect that circuit's ignition module.

The ignition modules are located on the lower right sides of the coils. To disconnect one, simply press the metal locking clip on the electrical plug at the bottom edge of the module and pull the plug downward to disengage.

Per the wiring diagram, the ignition modules supply 12 volt electricity to the coils, and disconnecting an ignition module completely de-energizes the corresponding coil.

Might be useful for folks with a broken distributor belt, arcing in one of the ignition circuits, etc.

Last edited by Dave R.; 09-07-2004 at 12:51 PM. Reason: location of ignition modules corrected
Old 09-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave - I agree -
I have used this test when I had problems which were in fact a result of the dist. belt failure. Disconnect the primary with a bad belt and no start. This is better than pulling the center wire on the dist. for several reasons - safety for one, and you don't want to introduce another problem by damaging the spark wires which are expensive to replace. And if you have to drive the car with a bad belt, as you said, this is the best way to disable the secondary circuit.

Quick Reply: Safe way to disable an ignition circuit (distributor, coil...)