Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve adjustment tip (cyl #6 made easy)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve adjustment tip (cyl #6 made easy)

Just finished my second valve adjustment, this time I removed the right engine bay floor so I was able to access the right upper valve cover & contents from below.

HUGE difference accessing the #6 intake valve & spark plug! Makes accessing the intake valves and upper plugs on cyls 4-6 easy, and is kind to one's back.

To remove:

After removing the right heat shield, remove the right engine bay floor (the angled sheet metal piece through which the lower spark plug wires come) by removing three bolts (10mm head) along the bottom edge (accessed from below), two bolts on the rear vertical edge (accessed from the top, you can see them below the oil filter, from below you will see the 11mm nuts bonded to the sheet metal, don't twist the nuts), and then two (three?) bolts on the forward vertical edge (accessed from below). To remove the lower bolt on the forward vertical edge, first undo (but no need to remove) the lower bolt of the secondary muffler mounting bracket and then rotate the bracket out of the way.

Note, will also need to push the rubber grommet protecting the spark plug wires up and out of the sheet metal...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:01 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you are right, pretty easy to do if you have the right tools. Most important rule to work on a 911, stay cool, and take your time. Rush is prohibited nd will set you up if things not go as they should.

Thanks for your post!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:03 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pics with arrows pointed to the bolts/nuts would help a great deal.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arjan, you are absolutely right - take your time and keep your cool

axl911, I have to open things back up again to replace the ignition wire harness and I'll see if I can take some pictures. It's pretty straight forward though - once you have the heat shield off you'll see what I mean.

By the way, how does one add arrows/markings to a digital picture? Is a high-end picture editing program like Adobe Photoshop necessary?

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment tip (cyl #6 made easy)