Sponsored by:

Newbie Question: 0 - 60 Times

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 PM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Question: 0 - 60 Times

Has anyone ever tested the 0 - 60 times before and after having a lightweight flywheel installed? If having the flywheel installed does not effect the 0 - 60 time, what changes does it make to the cars performance?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a reasonable question, but numbers will likely be hard to come by. I would think it would have a slight effect on the time but not a profound one as a 0-60 time involves a lot more than how quickly the engine can rev (ie, the launch plays a big role). A measure of acceleration while already moving would be a better indication (eg, how long from 3k to redline).

In my 993, I replaced the FW with the RS LWF but I also installed shorter gearing. The change in acceleration is very noticeable. However, with my gear choice, the 0-60 times are a horrible measure of the effectivness as my replacement 2nd gear means redline is about 58 mph, so an extra shift is required to get to 60. This is not good for fast times.

On the track a 0-60 time isn't too meaningful, so I never cared about it. On the track or in autox my 993 is quicker than a stock 993 (even a later model with more hp).

If you want to do this for track purposes (and not to simply be fast at a stop light), think about the implecations for the class your car will run in after the change. You might be faster than stock, but slower than others in your new class.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:08 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Less rotating mass means more power directed to the wheels - every bit counts - but every bit might not be noticed!

One thing: A lighter flywheel means less weight to accelerate longitudinally. A 20 pound savings is about what people shoot for removing the carpet from their cars when autocrossing or doing DE's - similar concept here.

With a lighter flywheel & clutch assembly, engine will rev quicker when the clutch is disengaged permitting quicker downshifting, for one. I know when heel-toeing in the 65 race car, then getting in my C4 with its 300 pound quadruple mass flywheel, I feel like I am revving a semi-truck!!!

But 0-60 the C4 will kick the 2.0liter's behind!!! The weight savings and fractional horsepower increase from less rotational mass might help a 0-60 time in the tenths to hundredths of a second range.

Installing a lightweight flywheel will cause you idle problems in most cases unless you compensate the engine's electronic management as well (chip upgrade, etc.)
Old 08-24-2004, 06:03 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darryl,

I had my Flywheel replaced with a lightweight one about 2 months ago. I'm not sure it would make that big a difference on 0-60, but if you were measuring 40-90 coming out of a bend, then I would fancy the difference would be very marked. The engine is much more free revving and pickup seems much quicker. It does take a bit og getting used to though, as your revs not only increase quicker, but they drop much quicker as well.

Good investment.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been discussed before, and I think that somebody came up with a mathematical theory. Obviously on its own, the difference in rotating mass is huge but as part of the whole drivetrain it is actually very small. I seem to remember that the difference at wheel based on lots of suppositions and estimates was around 2% increase in power....not something you would notice. However, I persoanlly find that the gear changes are easier to make both up the box, and also down...when you come from 4th to 3rd for example and you don't rev match - the engine hardly affects the movement of the car (i.e. doesn't slow the car down as much)...I really like it...

Quick Reply: Newbie Question: 0 - 60 Times