Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Headlights should I try to clean or replace? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/153932-headlights-should-i-try-to-clean-or-replace.html)

SNOWBIRD 08-23-2004 12:59 PM

Headlights should I try to clean or replace?

I just did a search hoping to get some info on my cloudy headlamps. I am now a little confused. Dishsoap or alchohol? What makes them cloudy to begin with? Is it condensation residue? Are they glass or some sort of plastic? I haven't had the car long enough to determine if I will see the condesation. I've read some of the H5 vs H4 and H1 threads. Is it safe to presume I have H5's (92 C2 US version)? I didn't find in any of the threads on cleaning them a statement like "They look new again" Why is that? I have no problem spending the $250 for a new pair if that's the route to take, but if I can clean them I will spend the $ on something else....

DonW-Cape Cod 08-23-2004 02:06 PM

Can't help you much. I assume it's condensation on the inside. OEM for US 964s were H5s. There are a couple of black plugs on the assembly that house the adjustment screws. Could those be missing, thus causing condensation inside.

Can't help you on the condensation residue. You might want to email Adrian Streather
website is: www.adrianstreather.com He knows everything about 964s and may be able to help you. :)

andrew911 08-23-2004 03:23 PM

I cleaned mine with glass/window cleaner. They still had some cloudyness, but better than before. I guess you could buy new ones, but at least try to clean them with some glass cleaner first. By the way, it's a pain in the neck job because you have to remove both lights, put some cleaner in and try as best as you can to rub the inside glass with a rag wrapped around a stick or other object, as you have to move the rag/paper towel around from the rear hole.

I don't know if it's a gas that emitted from the bulbs over time or what causes the cloudiness.

Mine aren't that bad so I'm not changing them (and I tend to be somewhat anal with my cars, so they're really not that bad). But if its bad enough to bother you that's a different story.

PC2 08-23-2004 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD
I didn't find in any of the threads on cleaning them a statement like "They look new again" Why is that?

Mine looked "surprisingly good" after cleaning with Alcohol. And since I've never seen a pair of brand new H5's I can't compare.

Give cleaning a try first before you spend the $, you might be pleased with the results.

:cheers:

PS. H4 are good upgrades or better yet the Xenons.

Ruairidh 08-23-2004 04:40 PM

Whatever you do, don't just buy new H5s without first considering H4's. IMHO they are one of the best upgrades you can do both visually and for better lighting.

investlt 08-23-2004 05:12 PM

Check this thread

Cleaning Headlights - By garrett376

Hope this helps.
:bigbye:

LT1 08-23-2004 10:28 PM

I did this job last summer when I was prepping my 92 for concours. Take the outer ring off and then the inner screws that hold the light assembly in. Be careful not to drop any of the screws/hardware inside as there is a drain hole that will swallow up screws and such. Pop out the light bulb/wire assembly. Ok here's the CLEANING TRICK: Buy a baby bottle brush and use it too clean the inside of the clouded light. the bottle brush is long enough to reach all of the crevices and can bent bent (think coat hanger) to get around all of the parts. I used water and carwash soap. After cleaning, rinse fully and LET DRY for a few days before replacing. If it isnt perfectly dry it will condense on the inside aggravating you all over again. My lights look brand new!

garrett376 08-24-2004 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by investlt

Thanks for referencing my past work!!! :)

One addendum - instead of waiting for several days to get the lenses to dry completely, I dried them COMPLETELY by placing both lights face down (glass down, hole up) on top of the house heater vent. The lenses got pretty toasty but the moisture was totally gone. It worked very well. For those of you with no vertically aimed heater vents in the house (or hot weather not warranting turning on the heat - did mine last winter) a hair dryer will do well to heat the lenses to evaporate off the solution.

Enjoy - the result is worth it!!!

Jacks911 08-24-2004 02:37 AM

I have done the lamp wash as well and there are other options for cleaning solution. White vinegar is a good old fashion no spot glass cleaner. It worked well for me but after 2 years will need to be done again (only one lamp does this?). I have thought this time I'll try a final rinse with the stuff they use in automatic dish washers to keep spots off crystal. Slow dry is OK but I think the heat blow dry may help minimize spots. Another tip for holding the mounting screws on during reassembly, is to cut out little plastic washers (from bread wrapper clips) and screw them on the inside of lamp tabs (no screws falling in drain hole). Good luck.

SNOWBIRD 08-24-2004 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by LT1
I did this job last summer when I was prepping my 92 for concours. Take the outer ring off and then the inner screws that hold the light assembly in. Be careful not to drop any of the screws/hardware inside as there is a drain hole that will swallow up screws and such. Pop out the light bulb/wire assembly. Ok here's the CLEANING TRICK: Buy a baby bottle brush and use it too clean the inside of the clouded light. the bottle brush is long enough to reach all of the crevices and can bent bent (think coat hanger) to get around all of the parts. I used water and carwash soap. After cleaning, rinse fully and LET DRY for a few days before replacing. If it isnt perfectly dry it will condense on the inside aggravating you all over again. My lights look brand new!

That's what I wanted to read! Hmmm a baby bottle brush... Never saw one of them, I guess they sell'em at the grocery stores. I was thinking of using a 50/50 amonia/water mix... Any comments?
Will give it a whirl once I am willing to park the thing. I absolutely love this car...

horst 08-24-2004 09:11 AM

Listen to Ruairidth IMHO the H-5 headlight is a POS. The H-1 or H4's are far superior. If you MUST re-use, the the suggestions above will work. I take out the drier valve on the bottom, before I put in plugs and the cleaning solution. You can shorten the drying time by finishing with an alcohol rinse. After that, take out the plugs, and put it out in the sun, or over a heating vent for a little while.

mojorizing 08-24-2004 09:38 AM

I just swirled Windex around the inside of my lights, flushed that out a couple of times with rubbing alcohol , and then like Garrett, put it opening down over a heater vent. The end result was a pair of bright and shiny lights on my car.....seemingly taking years off the age of my car.......
Clean before replacing, I say!
later, Kevin

Grace Zala 01-28-2018 09:39 PM

I have the similar situation like you, but I just need to clean the rear and the slots. What I did was to clean the rear with the adjustable sponges and slots by the strew brushes, all of them were removed from the set of baby bottle brush. Somewhere had lots of gas stains, but I just took some hot waters adding in the sponges to wipe them out several times.

heliolps2 02-02-2018 08:32 PM

Hello Gents

I used peroxide and worked great, Make sure you disassemble the it completely, and blow dry, It looks new now.

Good luck
Helio

_Remi 02-03-2018 01:16 PM

I have bookmarked this page, will tackle it once it's at the top of my priority list: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-upgrade.html