Sponsored by:

OT : I've been spoiled by my 964

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:08 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT : I've been spoiled by my 964

On another thread, I mentioned that I was thinking of getting another car as a daily driver (and something that could tow a horse box).

Well - subject to an inspection - the deal is done, and I've bought a '95 Mitsubishi Shogun (actually, it's a Pajero because it's a grey import). 2.8 Turbo Diesel, an auto (which I wanted - since it's just a daily hack I wanted something simple to drive and no clutch to burn out) and it's a short wheel base one. I test drove it last night - and although I am going ahead with it, I didn't feel that comfortable in it - and I think it's my 964s fault!

First of all - these things are so high! When I drive my girlfriends Clio, the 964 always feels very low afterwards - once I get used to the Mitsubishi I think the 964 will feel like I'm sitting on the road. It also felt to me like the centre of gravity was about 20ft in the air, and that it wasn't a very sensible idea! But I figured this is something I'll get used to (and it's being properly inspected on Monday anyway).

The steering felt incredibly vague and not very nice at all. But again, I think this is because it's at the opposite end of the spectrum from the 964.

As for speed..... oh dear. Put your foot down at a standstill and..... well, it kind of accelerates. To be fair, the turbo kicks in at 2K rpm and that does provide a bit of a kick, although I think this is probably more noticeable because it was going so slowly before rather than because it's now accelerating at light speed. I'm used to instant response in the 964 - but obviously a diesel 2 tonne car isn't quite the same. I found I kept putting my foot to the floor to get it to accelerate a bit quicker - at which point kick down occured and it launched itself forward (relatively speaking). Not sure the guy in the passenger seat was too impressed.

I did rather like all the flashy lights on the dash. It has a little picture of the car with 4 wheels and usually just the rear two are lit. When you're at standstill put the car in park, select 4WD and the front 2 start flashing. Engage drive - and they light solidly. What fun!

Funny thing is - in the 4x4 reviews Shoguns get excellent ratings, which is one of the reasons I went for it. So I guess that in 4x4 terms it's an excellent car. I think it will make me appreciate the 964 a lot more though. Driving the 964 will become a weekend treat, and I think it will feel amazing after getting used to the daily car.

One other point - the Pajero owners forum is excellent - very friendly and very knowledgable people - it reminded me a lot of this board. The downside is that I haven't even got the car yet and I already know that I should blank off the EGR valve, remove the lower pulley bolt cut off 3mm and loctite it back in, etc. etc....... So much for buying a car I could just drive every day and ignore......
Old 08-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to use a Jeep Cherokee as my daily driver and I felt the same as you did when switching between that and my RSA. It certainly does make one appreciate the 964.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it depends on how frequently you switcheroo - I switch between my ML320 and my 964 almost daily and I acclimate almost immediately. I do find the switch to the Porsche fun sometimes though, as coming down from the truck makes the 964 feel like a go-kart!!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 PM
JoeW
Pro

I have NO idea what a Pajero is -- can y ou post a pic?

Joe
Old 08-21-2004, 04:31 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Just your standard 4WD type thingy :
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2004, 11:52 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
The downside is that I haven't even got the car yet and I already know that I should blank off the EGR valve, remove the lower pulley bolt cut off 3mm and loctite it back in, etc. etc....... So much for buying a car I could just drive every day and ignore......
Oh, I know the feeling. After upgrading my Nissan Pathfinder to a K&N filter, I've been contemplating suspension mods to complement all that extra power ... perhaps bigger brakes. I just worry that most potential buyers will prefer a bone stock Pathfinder when it comes time to sell. Opinions?

Kidding aside, I drive my SUV pretty conservatively. All that extra mass and high center of gravity does not exactly inspire confidence--and I've got one of the better models! I actually get pissed when I see some young kid or soccer mom tearing #ss around town in their 5,000-lb tanks. They have no idea how close to disaster they are.

And btw, I really did replace the stock filter with a K&N ... sorry, no dyno results.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:06 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

You need some wheels like this Joey
Old 08-21-2004, 12:24 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah baby! No problem getting the Big Reds to fit under those! Are those spinners?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:31 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

22inch spinners
Old 08-21-2004, 12:35 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

They ( Pathfinders) are supposedly coming to the UK soon. We have an X-trail (Xterra in USA???) but its a bit small.
How many whippets do you think I could get in the back of a Pathfinder?
Old 08-21-2004, 12:56 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the back compartment, two whippets will fit fine. If you lay down the rear seats, five is not a problem. How many do you have?

I quite like the X-Terra except it is a little under powered, just shy of 200 hp if memory serves. The 2001-on Pathfinder has 240 hp which is just about right given its mass. Tow capacity is 5,000 lbs and could pull your car on a very light trailer. It requires premium fuel which makes it a little pricey to run. Something to consider.

Overall, I think Nissan's reliability is very high and their cars make for good, long-term daily drivers. And they're not as pricey as their Toyota equivalents. Prior to the current truck, I owned a MK I ( ) Pathfinder so I've been a long-time fan.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:17 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
In the back compartment, two whippets will fit fine. If you lay down the rear seats, five is not a problem. How many do you have?

I quite like the X-Terra except it is a little under powered, just shy of 200 hp if memory serves. The 2001-on Pathfinder has 240 hp which is just about right given its mass. Tow capacity is 5,000 lbs and could pull your car on a very light trailer. It requires premium fuel which makes it a little pricey to run. Something to consider.
Mines 62hp shy of 200hp, we have these things called diesel engines in the UK. There is 200ftlbs of torque though and it only weighs 1500kg/3300lbs so the performance is similar to a C4 ( only joking )

Overall, I think Nissan's reliability is very high and their cars make for good, long-term daily drivers. And they're not as pricey as their Toyota equivalents. Prior to the current truck, I owned a MK I ( ) Pathfinder so I've been a long-time fan.
My GF cried the last time our Nissan Primera passed its MOT - she is sick of the sight of it but it just won't die.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:21 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonytaylor
12 (whippets)
Wow! That's a lot of kibble. I've only the one Brittany. Anyone familiar with the breed can tell you that one is plenty.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Dave,

I've been looking into the very same over the last week - spooky. I quite fancy something with a high driving position to hack around in and the Pajero SWB seems like the best value for money. I would be interested in your feedback once you have driven it for a few miles. Where did you source it?

Rob W
Old 08-23-2004, 06:29 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I looked through AutoTrader mostly (online). This one is coming from a place called LibertyMotors (Mitcham). He's not a particularly big outfit. Funny story though...... I saw one car there which looked good.... and it turned out after an AA check that it was so good it was nicked in 2001. But I believe the dealer didn't know that, so this car is also coming from him.

I won't get it for a couple of weeks (assuming it even passes the mechanic's inspection today) but I'll let you know how I find it after that. If you want to find out a bit more about them, this site is excellent - and it's also got recommendations for dealers etc. that sell them :

http://www.pocuk.com/forums.htm

Quick Reply: OT : I've been spoiled by my 964