Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004 | 08:38 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Question Clutch Replacement

I am taking my car into the shop next week to have the clutch/flywheel replaced. I have a 92 C2 and was wondering what other parts should I be looking to replace while I am in there? Here is the list of the new parts that will go into the car:

RS Lightweight Flywheel
RS Clutch Disc
RS Pressure Plate
GT2 throwout bearing
Starter Ring Gear
Guide Tube for Throwout Bearing
Pilot Bushing
Flywheel Bolts
Pressure Plate Bolts
Crankshaft Rear Main Seal
Slave Cylinder

Do I need to upgrade the clutch fork or is mine already the upgraded version?
I was thinking of getting RS motor mounts - does anyone know of a good place to get them?

Finally, I have already searched the forum and know the potential stalling issues with lightweight flywheels (I am willing to risk it).
Old 08-19-2004 | 08:41 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Hi Darryl,

I had a similar upgarde done to my 90 C2 - i.e RS Flywheel & Clutch, slave cylinder. I also had the fork replaced, and whil I can't guarantee it was the offending item, I did find my clutch my lighter and smoother after the upgrade. Given what you are having done, It would seem sensible to replace it now, rather than have the labour costs to change it in the future.

Al.
Old 08-19-2004 | 04:07 PM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Did you have any issues with stalling when they installed the new flywheel?
Old 08-20-2004 | 07:35 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Darryl!

I made the same zthing to my car! i.e. LWF, RS clutch etc... Yes I had stalling issues and yes it was quite annoying to say the least! The problem was cured with the installation of an RS Eprom Chip. This should cure almost (special emphasis to the word almost) any the stalling issues of the engine!

For the rest be aware that the Geabox will be much more noisy as before (the bi-mass flywheel was developed by Posrche partly because of the tranny noise generated by a single LWF). In the beginnig you will be abit surprised by the noise (a bit like a coffee grinder grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....) but it's absolutely normal. At least it learned me how to shift correctly my car (meaning shifting at the correcte RPM)

Advantage of all this: 1) No more trouble with doublemass flywheels 2) much cheaper replacement parts 3) a much more revy (revolution friendly) engine almost like an RS. 3) happy to have a car that feels much more alive

So my advice: Go for it and enjoy but uprgade also to a RS chip of a reputed (THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING)

Gruetzi THOMAS
Old 08-20-2004 | 09:01 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

HI Darryl,

When I had the RS flywheel & Clutch fitted I was advised that I would be best to get my injectors cleaned at the same time, as these would exaggerate any possible problems with stalling. I have to say though, that I didn't experience any. The revs do drop down to 250-300 when decellerating fast to a junction, but bounce right up to +- 900 and hold rock solid. Soon aftterwards I had as part of a rebuild a full DME remap by Ninemeister (squeezed an extra 35-40bhp out of the engine for me), and its fine.

I agree with Thomas' comments, it takes a bit of getting used to, because the revs drop very quickly between gearchanges, but get it right and the car is significantly more responsive and the pick up is hugely improved.

I have no regrets, its been a great improvement.

Al.
Old 08-20-2004 | 10:10 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Thomas, where did you get your RS chip from?
Old 08-20-2004 | 11:03 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Darryl!

I got it in Switzerland trough Pierre Ofksy (Ofsky Performance) Sort of Porsche Guru who prepares a lot of competition Porsches for private customers! The sort of guy who prepares you your 934 or 952 Gruppe C for a week-end race!! He really is a sort of Rainman (Dustin Hoffman in the movie) what matters Posrche!! It cost me around 800 CHF (about 645$)

Tchüssli
Thomas

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement