Sponsored by:

O/T: Someone to think about

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JB and PB

I can only echo what others have said.....this really sucks....
Old 08-12-2004, 05:35 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

John

I have been sitting here for about 5 long minutes trying to figure out how to put the ache in my throat into words of comfort... and I know I just can't. I haven't met you, but we have exchanged some great 'e-nudges' at each other and I have enjoyed your contribution to this forum...

If you don't mind me putting a slightly different slant on your post, I'd like to give you a big thumbs up for all the support you are showing for your wife! You are a remarkable human being... CHEERS!

Part of the reason I know what it takes, is that my wife had to look after me when I went through Leukemia over 9 years ago. For six months while I went to hell and back she was my rock... and for that, I could never give her back enough...

You, my friend, are a rock!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:30 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, for what it's worth, I want you to know, you're not alone.

My Sweetie too is paralyzed from the chest down, her name is Brenda, but everyone just calls her BJ. The doctors never did acutally pin down what happened to her, but in 1999 she ended up living at Duke University Medical Center for over 3 months. They called it a tranverse myeolitis (sp), which is some sort of spinal cord infection with symptoms much like MS in it's later stages. Happened without warnings of any kind. One day she was active and normal, the next she had several massive seizures that ended up hospitalizing her, and less than a week later, lost all use of her legs and feeling from the chest down. We really didn't know if she would make it or not. Nearly 5 years later, I can tell you not only has it been the toughest years of her life, it has also been the roughest of mine. The shock of dealing with the intitial prognosis, and learning to deal with an uncertain future - not to mention the various infections, etc. that occur on a regular basis are at best, very hard on her, her daughter (now 15), and - yes - me too! Never in my life figured I be a caregiver, and in fact people who know me are shocked that I have managed as long as I have. (It's no big deal really - as I'm sure you know - we all do what we have to do, right?) For the past 5 years, I have had to learn things that truthfully, I never wanted to know.

I wish I could tell you that everything is alright and going to be ok, but sometimes, as I'm sure you already know - it just won't seem that way. But somehow we all get through, and I'm sure you will too.

If there is ever anything I can do to help you and I say this simply because I'm someone who's going through a similar experience. Don't hesitate to ask.

In the meantime - one l needs a strong faith in God, and hope, always hope. I'll keep both of you in my prayers, and in my thoughts.

To add some Pcar content. Brenda loves taking a ride in the Porsche. Believe it or not, it's a lot easier for her to get in the 911 than the 944S using her transfer board from the wheelchair to the car, but I still haven't figured out a way to get her wheelchair into the car. So the trips are just drives, not destination trips. Oh well... - maybe someday.

Best Wishes and keep smiling.

Marshall McCray
Rennlist Member
1990 Carrera 2
1987 944S

John I don't know you and Paula
Old 08-13-2004, 12:57 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

John,

Just learned this from reading your thread. Very sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. Wow, not sure what to say other than you two will be in my prayers...

God Bless
Old 08-13-2004, 04:44 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wow. Thank you all so much, particularly Marshall.

Don't have time to be on here just now...

Last edited by John Boggiano; 08-13-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:52 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi John,

Kevin here. Don't really know what to say, other than my thoughts and hopes are with you.

Kevin. [lurking]
Old 08-13-2004, 05:07 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

John,

We never interacted directly, but we are part of the same extended "family". My thoughts are with you and Paula.

ST
Old 08-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

Very sorry to hear of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Andy
Old 08-13-2004, 05:45 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thank you all.

Paula hasn't been able to read this thread yet, but I have told her about everyone's comments.

Feeling a bit emotional just now, but just let me say that this sort of thing, plus some stuff that has happened off the forum today is one of the best adverts for the good things about the internet that there could be.

Paula and I are actually very fortunate because we have got to know and/or interact with some of the finest people you could meet.

Right now, Paula is varying between being totally rigid for a while, every muscle in spasm (even in her ears, preventing her from hearing) to being completely floppy and unable to move anything. At this very moment, I'm glad to say (and I know Rob in particular will be very relieved to hear this), she is actually somewhat 'normal', by her standards. Two hours ago, she most certainly wasn't.

Edit: Forgive me for not replying to the PM's, etc. - that has to get a low priority, but they are appreciated, as John D might say, 'More than you may know'.

Old 08-13-2004, 05:52 PM
dove
Banned

John, Your post really did touch me,I'm sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through and hope that things will improve for you both in the future.

Paul
Old 08-13-2004, 06:01 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by dove
John, Your post really did touch me,I'm sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through and hope that things will improve for you both in the future.

Paul
Thanks, Paul.

Just had time to catch your post - I just popped on to print the thread for Paula.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:29 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Update...

Not so good, I'm afraid. It's baffling how she is in such great shape for a very short time followed by..., well, you get the idea.

Seeing someone in such a state, in such desperate need of your help but with a problem you can do nothing about... Not good. Not good at all. I wondered which bit of this post would affect me the most, it was that part.

I have to keep working (one of the joys of owning this sort of business. Not), so her mother and stepfather have come down from Sunderland to help out. You can imagine how I feel being at work... Can't get locums this time of year, and besides, lack of staff due to holidays makes it very difficult. Not a good time for anyone involved. Still, the only way is up, right?
Old 08-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Just to add my best wishes to you both. What you're going through sounds just horrible, Paula. There's no logic to these things..here's to calmer waters.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:47 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I haven't cried since I was not much older than Rob's little boy, but I'm pretty sure I will be doing so while I type this post.

Paula has kind-of stabilised. Sadly, the state she has stabilised into is just a crippled mess. How (pause...)

...can this happen? How can so much wishing and praying and hurting for something good result only in this?

I am a wreck. My heart is broken (pause...)

along with my spirit and strength.

I am finding it so so so so hard to keep even a tiny grip on things.

Paula just looks at me and what does she do? She smiles.

How can life be so hard, so unfair?

Today we will have to have her taken to hospital. She is hurting so much. I am hurting so much. Please keep praying.

I have to stop now. I must recover enough to feed her her breakfast after her mother has washed her.

God, this is tough.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, we're all behind you here.

Phil

Quick Reply: O/T: Someone to think about