Sponsored by:

RSA TAIL TRIM

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 07:47 PM
bnewell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSA TAIL TRIM

What can I use to clean/treat the rubber edge around my RSA whale-tail spoiler??

Thanks!!

Brian
Old 08-07-2004, 09:12 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After hearing such rave reviews on this board, I have started using Vinylex and have been very satisfied with the results. Restores black vinyl/plastic/rubber to it's original color and luster without a whole lot of work. (No affiliation)
Brian
Old 08-07-2004, 09:32 PM
JoeW
Pro

I use Meguiar's "Shine", Brian. Like Vinylex it makes the finish dark withough being too shiny and it doesn't drip residue. I also appreciate that it holds up under a little rain.

Joe
Old 08-07-2004, 10:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can also use 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:40 PM
bnewell
Advanced

Okay guys, Vinylex is a product that I have never heard of.........where can I get some???? Thanks for the input!!

Brian
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 PM
JoeW
Pro

Many auto parts stores. I found mine at WalMart. A search online or through the sponsors for Rennlist -- try a search under Lexol (for leather). The Vinylex is their mixture for rubber/vinyl.

Joe
Old 08-08-2004, 09:32 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

I know around here Pep Boys carries it. Their leather product (Lexol) is a good one too.
Brian
Old 08-09-2004, 02:45 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Brian,
I just detailed my car, and found the rubber edge to be a real challenge - mostly because I had so much polish and carnuba wax staining it. Well, here's what I did: First, I used a 1:10 dilution of Simple Green and a 3M green scouring pad to scrub the rubber strip. I then wiped it down with a cloth. I couldn't believe how much dirt color I got out of it, even after repeating the procedure 5+ times. Regardless, it seemed to work. The wax staining was gone. I then followed the cleaning with a product called "Black Again" - http://www.premiumautocare.com/blagextrre.html

Black Again is a thick gel, that is messy to work with, but the results were fantastic. Here's a picture:

Good luck.

Erick
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2004, 03:19 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sounds like the sort of job that Autoglym 'Bumper Care' would also do well.

I did my engine-lid grill with it recently. Nice clean stuff to use, too.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Peanut butter works well for removing white wax residue on black rubber trim. Apply some with your fingers, rub it in well and remove with a towel.

One Grand's Exterior Rubber Treatment is also very good and lasts longer than Vinylex (one of my favorite detailing products) on exterior trim.

Jay
90 964
Old 08-09-2004, 09:43 PM
bnewell
Advanced

Before I get too far ahead of myself........how about removing oxidation from the spoiler?? Number 1, I'm not even sure what kind of material it is or finish it has. Is it fiberglass?? Painted or a colored gelcoat?? I have always used Zaino Bros polish on my vehicles but of course that won't do anything with oxidation.

Any thoughts??

Brian
Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3M Hand Glaze can remove some oxidization. 3M Rubbing Compound is more abrasive/agressive and will work a bit better on heavier oxidation.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:24 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Brian,
I just cleaned my tail.... It definitely had some light oxidation. In fact, my tail had much more oxidation than the rest of the car for some reason. I treated it exactly like the rest of the car and it turned out brilliantly. Really! I used a clay bar, cleaner, polish and then wax. If you prefer Zaino, that's great, but you'll have to use something else to clean the paint and then remove swirl marks before applying it. I've heard good things about Meguiars Scratch-X for removing light oxidation, but I think that there are many great products for such out there.

Good luck.

Erick

Quick Reply: RSA TAIL TRIM