Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 964...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Tazio
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what would consumables be? Car care products, etc...?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazio
I thought the valve adjustment was a yearly thing? Or is it as needed?

Also, I'm quite tall (6'6") -- will I fit? I've never driven a 964 (or any 911) before. There aren't many in the NYC area.
Valve adjustments are due every 15,000 miles on the US model 964's. If you drive 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year, you might have a 15 - 18 month time frame between adjustments.

These 911's are small and the 964 still has very similar interior dimensions going back to the original cars back in 1965. Since you are that tall, you may really want to "test fit" yourself in any 911 you can sit in ('60's to '98) to see how comfortable you are. The pedals and steering wheel are fixed (no adjustments other than an optional steering column extension). Only the seats are adjustable. Sometimes, seat rails can be modified for some minor additional leg or headroom. Non-sunroof cars give a bit more headroom in the front, but non-sunroof 964's are rare unless you look at the '92-'93 RS America models.

It's only my opinion, but at the 993 ages, I would bet service costs will be very similar between the 964 and the 993. The valve adjustments are not needed on the 993, but oil changes are a bit more involved due to the extra filter on the 993 motor. Both models are pretty similar mechanically.

Best of luck on your search,

Jay
90 964
Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_purple
....I haven't even calculated how many miles per gallon it gets.
Don't buy a Porsche if saving on gas is in your top 5 concerns. Worrying about gas mileage cramps your driving style in a big way. Get an Insight, and go to their board and share lies about how many miles per gallon you get (pretty impressive if you believe even half of what they claim)..

The 964 has great fuel economy compared to almost any other exotic with similar perforamnce. Mine gets about 25 or better MPG on trips typically at 80 MPH and up. It will get close to 20 MPG around town, provided I don't push it too hard. Even on the autocross track, you will get better mileage than a Hummer.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

The annual difference in gas expense between a car getting 31 mpg (my Honda) and 25 mpg (my 964) based on a 12,000 mile annual driving amount is ~$190 if you figure a gallon of premium fuel is $2.05.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Tazio
Track Day

I'm not worried about the gas mileage. believe me, my previous cars weren't exactly hybrids.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

The 964 p**ses on the impreza STi's fuel economy, no contest. What do they get? High teens on the expensive unleaded? It beats my old Merc, too.
Don't forget depreciation, either. Our family wagon has lost £7000-8000 in 4 years, (and that's after getting a good deal!)
That would buy a lot of valve adjusts..

EDIT - Simultaneous post, Tazio!
BTW, are you Alfisti ?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tazio
I'm not worried about the gas mileage. believe me, my previous cars weren't exactly hybrids.
I bet your prior WRX STi was not exactly fuel efficient with your foot in it...

911's are pretty surprising when it comes to fuel efficiency. I took my brother's '83 911SC on a small trip last year and managed 32.5 mpg with mostly highway and county trunk driving. I couldn't believe it when I did the math... A friend of mine took his '90 C2 on a decent sized trip a month or two ago and got 28 mpg.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tazio... I know where you're coming from... I was there just a couple weeks ago.. If you can afford $25k and $2-3k a year for maintenance I'd say go for it, should be able to find a nice one for that (I chose from 3 sweet ones in that range). I have had the idea of buying one in the back of my mind for way way to long, now I'm going to live it. I've had 2bimmers, a Supra, and a Saab as my daily drivers... I'm figuring it has to be about the same money as the other Euro cars were, so it's a pill to take when something is awry, but when it's all fixed it'll seem worthy... From what you said though about being 6'6", the 1st thing I'd want to know for is whether or not I fit in it!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Tazio
Track Day

I only had the thing for two months before it was ripped off, but it got in the low 20s on the highway, which wasn't atrocious. The fuel tank was very small, so it made you think it got worse mileage than it did because you were constantly putting $2 gas in it. I never got a chance to really measure it, though.

My family has owned some Alfas in the past -- my father owned a 69 GTA, I believe the model was, and another one from a year or two earlier. And let's face it, Tazio Nuvolari is very cool. I have a standing appointment with the first Alfa sports coupe to be imported to the US whenever GM decides to get off the pot.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
A friend of mine took his '90 C2 on a decent sized trip a month or two ago and got 28 mpg.
Don't forget to factor in the 5% to 10% overly optimistic odometer. That will put you back at 25 MPG that the EPA says you get. Cheaper and newer cars are cheating even worse on odometer calibrations, so for true gas mileage, the Porsches are still impressive.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Tazio
Track Day

I know...I might be in trouble with no tilt wheel. might end up back at www.imprezawrxsti.com, haha. Although the Z fit like a glove, it was great. People were always shocked when I got out of such a tiny car.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Graham L
Racer

I'd be worried at 6 foot 6 about getting in a 964. I'm 6 4 and just can get away with it, certainly couldnt get in it wearing a helmet (so track days are out then). it is the headroom that will get you, given that the roofline slopes away so quickly. I also have a bit of trouble when it's in 5th gear - not enough room to get your legs right somehow, i changed the steering wheel to help (and because it looks fantastic) but it's still not great. I'd get in one and try it for size stat if i were you. I know there are things you can do with the seat rails etc, but the roofline drop will make head room a bind. Perhaps a non standard seat might help - i dont know...
If you can get in it buy it - worry about the money later!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Tazio
Track Day

It's never the headroom for me, it's being able to get my right hand on the wheel past my right knee. So the non-tilt wheel worries me. I'm long-legged, and finding a place to put my right knee can be difficult. I kind of drive in a position not dissimilar to riding a tricycle. So moving the seat assembly back would help straighten out my legs. That or surgery. I'm planning on nipping down to Manhattan Motors at lunch time to see if they have anything I can sit in. I will let you know (I know everyone is on the edge of their seats...)
Old 08-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'6", and I fit well (albeit snugly) in my '90 C2 targa.

Targa should have more headroom than a coupe due to the different roofline, and will definitely have more headroom than a coupe with a sunroof.

With respect to long legs, on my car the previous owner (who also had long legs) found that the factory had provided an extra set of rear mounting holes for the seat rails - so the dealer unbolted the seat rails, slid them back and rebolted.

So if you find the seat does not go as far back as you would like, it may be possible to remount the seat rails rearward.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Tazio
Track Day

Dave,

You read my mind. I went and sat in a 993 Turbo (this place Manhattan Motors is like a fantasy land, they had Lamborghinis, a new black Carrera GT, the works) and I need another little bit of legroom to make my legs a little straighter. I can steer the wheel, but the shifter is underneath my right knee in 1st gear. So I would need this done. Does anyone know anything about it?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 964...