Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get the front blower fan out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to get the front blower fan out?

I know how to get to the front blower fan - remove the firewall, get the fuse panel out of the way, unclip the cover over the fan and pull it off (did it at the weekend). Now, I want to lube the bearings - but I couldn't figure out how to get the fan out. I saw in the manual a Porsche tool - but I didn't make one up because I couldn't figure out from the picture exactly what went where.

So - has anyone taken their fan out, and how did you actually remove it? And - if you need a special tool to get it out, how do you get it back in?

If I can't get the fan out, I'll just try some oil in the general area - but obviously it would be better if the fan itself is not in the way.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I never had to do that, but ist a crappy job to do. You can seperate the upper and the lower part of the fan house and then you have to deal with a bad space problem to move the ventilator out.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:28 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I didn't really have a problem with space. Once the firewall is out the access to the RHS fan seemed OK. It was just the 2-part tool I was missing. I'll take another look at the manual this evening and see if I can make one up. It didn't look that hard - it was just how exactly it fitted I wasn't sure about.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Stephen Grellet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StephenGrellet

I presume you are wanting to remove the fan from the heater housing, not the fan from the heater motor. If so there are two Phillips head screws that you need to undo. There are also two plastic retainer clips that slot in behind the heater housing.These are shaped like half an arrow. The back of the arrow head has to be bent down to disengage it from the housing. There are two slots in the housing. You need to poke a small flat bladed screwdriver into each slot and rotate them 90 degrees and you can jiggle the housing out. To lubricate the bearings, I used sewing machine oil and worked it into the bearings by moving the motor shaft back and forth. There is a good article on heater motor removal somewhere, unfortunately I cant remember where.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I used an old hacksaw blade to get the plastic retaining clips to release but you can improvise with almost anything that fits. If you look at the new blower/fan assembly, you will see them. Practice on the new fan. Once you have the hang of it, then go to the car and remove the old blower/fan. I replaced mine in 3 hours. Its tedious but managable.

As for a written procedure, there is a decent one in the factory manual.

Edit: I found a good summary in another thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=blower+motor

Last edited by Rob Aube; 07-28-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:28 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Thanks - that write up is exactly what I needed.
I'm very confused by the manual now - I don't remember it mentioning the screws or the tabs if you use their puller.

Although I couldn't get the fan out last night, I did get some oil in there and my fan is now squeak free. I don't think it will last - so I may wait until it squeaks again or I may just sort it out the next time I get some free time.

Quick Reply: How to get the front blower fan out?