Sponsored by:

Scuttle seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone been able to replace this seal without breaking the welds? I've removed the bolts in the trunk area, and under the fender near the door, but the fender won't move at all. I'm sure I could pull the old seals out, and remove some of the new seal so it goes around the bolts, but i'm not sure if it can be seated in the gap..... Thanks for any info.
-Eric
90 C2
NER/PCA
Rennlist Member
Old 08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Victor Lagana
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my last week after the complete respray of my black C4 widebody. I losened up the front quarter panel screw and purchased the seal with the slots. I found it help full to trim a bit off the bottom of the seal. I was able to slide them in after appling some car wash soap to help them go in....I did not break any welds

worked for me.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Jeremy G
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How deep were the seals you used Victor? Mine are about an inch in depth and have ridges to hold them in place which I suspect may require a fair bit of clearance.

Also, which bolts did you slacken? Was it the two bolts that can be seen with the door open under the front windscreen pillar?

Thanks,

Jeremy.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Victor Lagana
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy,

I did slightly losen those bolts you described under the widow pillar. I also had to trim one or two of the tabs on the 1 inch part.

looks so much better, mine were beat up pretty bad.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Jeremy, have you had a chance to look at the TSB I mentioned early? The front fender on a MY89/90 may not be attached to the body the same way as MY91-94 which might explain your difficulties.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine where replaced in January while painting the roof and window area's. If you use enough wax or vaseline, and cut the 2 seals a bit, then you can install them while putting a plastic triangle tool between the wing and the body to get some space. After intalling, spray a bit wax where you can and put back the allen srew.

Quick Reply: Scuttle seal