Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups: Wear and Heat Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Tom,

38-40 hot, with 40 hot being ideal are the best pressures for RA-1s. If they go much about 40 they get very slippery fast, so try to avoid that.

Full tread RAs are not very fast until they get worn down and shaved RAs (from what I have read) are always faster then full treads. My first set was full and my current set is shaved and they do feel much better with no squirm.

I have spoken to a few PCA racers who say that Cups and Hoosiers are about 1-2 seconds faster depending on track. Some have told me that Cups are not much faster, but some swear by them. I did see the posts from Chris C. saying that Cups and S04 Hoosiers are about the same time wise. I also remember a post way back saying that Cups were about 1 sec. faster at Putnum Park (Jim Childs I think) than the Toyos. I guess I will stay w/ the Toyo’s for now ….until my curiosity outweighs my bank account, as Toyos have about twice the wear of Cups.

Jim
Old 04-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim: Thanks for the info. It's about what I thought and was shooting for. I did have one session (the first of the day) 2 weeks ago where I forgot to check the cold pressures at the start of the session and came in to see RA-1s at 46 hot - it explained why they were very slick later in the session! Based on my experience so far, I think MPSCs are 1-2 seconds faster at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow (for full tread tires).
Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default MPSC on a 964

I use MPSC's on my 964 club racer. Ideal pressures for me are 33-34 fronts and 36 rears (hot). The maximum grip is achieved when the temps are above 160 degrees.

I typically start out @ 26 fronts and 27 rears but of course the ambient and track temps play a role in starting temps. Add 6-8 pounds in the wet. I have gotten over 40 heat cycles on a set.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cups: Wear and Heat Cycling