AC O-rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 10:19 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC O-rings

Hi all

I've removed the O-rings in order to match them up with new ones and noticed some are conicle in shape but most are the traditional round ones. Can I assume that the conicle shaped ones were once round and having been in the system for the last 14 years have deformed and taken on the shaped they were pressed into? When I went to the dealer the ones they showed me by P/N's were totally the wrong size and would never fit so I'm back to just trying to match them up by size.

Your responses are appreciated
Bill
90C2
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace the o-rings between my compressor and the two pipes that attach to it, between those two pipes and the pipes they attach to above the LHS rear wheel, and between the receiver / dryer and the pipes that attach to that. All of them were plain round o-rings - and all were the expected Porsche part numbers.

Be careful though - I saw a slightly later 964 at the weekend - different compressor, and different pipes to it (with the valves on the pipes, not on the compressor) - maybe you got shown the o-rings from the later car.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:57 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

My compressor has the valves mounted on it and these happen to be the O-rings which were not round. The larger low pressure side had a conicle profile and the smaller Hi pressure side kinda had a vertical side wall profile. The dealer showed me round shaped ones which had a slightly larger diameter but the wall thickness seemed OK. Another thing I couldn't understand was the small O-ring cost $1.80 and the slightly larger one was $13.00?! They were both green and looked to be made of the same material. The ones above and in front of the rear wheels were easily matched up round ones.

Bill
90C2
Old 07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Mine were also green - I don't remember them being odd shapes, but I must admit I didn't look that closely.

I just had my air con regassed - and it held a vaccuum OK, so I think my o-rings did fit.

I did find the same thing as you - small o-ring was cheap, large one was much more.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:48 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Darth,
I had my tools out today to mess about with my interior fan - and the larger compressor o-ring I took off was still in my socket set case. It was as you describe - conical. I'm sure the one I replaced it with wasn't though, and it seems to have sealed OK.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

When my old ones came out they were conical, the new OEM parts were round. Can only assume when they are pressed they change shape to make the seal.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

OK - now I can assume that they've taken on the shape they were pressed into - still doesn't explain why the dealer showed me O-rings which were not the same diameter - thickness was OK though. I got the wrong power steering pump seal once from them (seems it came from another bin close to where the correct ones were) so I had them check to see that all the others in their bin were the same - that checked out. I'll try another dealer and just match them up by size.

Thanks for your help guys
Bill
90C2

Quick Reply: AC O-rings