Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greatest fear what will brake in the future????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Greatest fear what will brake in the future????

I was thinking what other 964 owners think about the idea what will brake next or in the future on their beloved 964?

May be we have same idea's may be not.

I let you know what I think about my car.............

104 000 Miles, still first clutch and DMF from Freudenberg, so this means that's my first concern............

The second thing is my engine, even knowing that they are strong. I am afraid having the huge rebuilt costs on it.

No other fears for me, things runn well. I own the car for more then 2.5 years now and have no strange problems, It is good Porsche for me, I am happy with that.

I am not using the car with more care because of this, but this is what is going thru my mind now and then........

Please share your thoughts with us people................
Old 07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arjan, I was wondering the EXACT same thing and considered posting a similiar topic....wierd!!

I still have an oil leak to be diagnosed and repaired. Seeing oil on the garage floor grows the anxiety over possible rebuild expenses!

Also, now I have started to think my shift could maybe be smoother (posted in another thread) my brain has begun to play mind games and fo course I start to worry about the transmission.

I think this anxiety is a core part of 964 ownership for many people and just one of the very minor inconveniences of having a high performance car and a trade off for having so much fun!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are so many little things on my 964 that I adopt a policy of not worrying about what may break. Just drive it like you stole it. Cars seemed to break less when you drive the snot out of them and not worrying about it. But you have to do the maintenance.

Otherwise, this and that will break.

---
anthony
Old 07-20-2004, 01:24 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear engine noises that no one can hear. I feel power losses that no one can feel. I smell burnt oil that only I can smell. I see oil leaks and I faint. My greatest fear would be a "Mental Breakdown" caused by 964 ownership.

Last edited by PC2; 07-21-2004 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by PC2
I hear engine noises that no one can hear. I feel power losses that no one can feel. I smell burining oil that only I can smell. I see oil leaks and I faint. My greatest fear would be a "Mental Breakdown" caused by 964 ownership.

_________

And I thought I was all alone in my mental misery....

Old 07-20-2004, 02:30 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

my wallet...
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Stef Scheepers
Advanced

I've driven the hell out of my RS (as a daily driver) and raced it extensively in auto-X competitions. After 225 000 Km of living at or near the redline (with regular synthetic oil changes), the following things happened or will need attention:

At about 190 000 Km the alternator brushes wore out. (Don't buy an expensive factory reconditioned alternator, your Bosch dealer will sell you the brushes for cheap money.)

The (original) clutch is starting to go.

The first gear occasionally jumps out when I do drag-starts.

The engine has developed an irritating oil leak.

Otherwise everything is still good. The engine will still pull redline in 5th gear, so I am not down on power.

I think you should stop worrying about things that might break and rather just enjoy your 964. Compared to previous Porsches, these cars are bullitproof.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:53 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

My clutch will be the next big thing but it is a consumable item so I don't view it as a negative ownership experience. It's like replacing tires or brake pads, (which would happen with any car) it's just a little more expensive.

In 2003, my car leak down numbers across all cylinders were in the 4-5% range and AWD dyno numbers registered 228.5hp and 224 lb ft. I feel my car is in superb shape and will be fairly dependable for many years to come. Knock on wood.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:01 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Stef..... It's not that bad, I am not worried that much, but only think what is next on the list. I am enjoying the car every day and I am not save it for a hard ride. If I was that worried, I would not drive the Nordschleife....

This topic is just to see if global wide peple have the things that keeps them busy. Not more not less.

PC2, you afraid of a mental break down.... ha ha ha ha ha. Not you, you're to strong for that. Didn't we listen to a 'certain sound' togheter a few weeks ago......????

Howard, you see, there are other people with same thoughts then.....................
Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Howard, you see, there are other people with same thoughts then.....................
Don't encourage him!
Old 07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Stef Scheepers
Advanced

"If I was that worried, I would not drive the Nordschleife.... "

The only time I am afraid of the Nordschleife is when I get into a car with Irishdriver at the wheel. He has a habit of crashing into Armco (on the side I am sitting!!).
Old 07-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I got that fear not so long ago and got a VW R32... down side is that now I do not use the 964 as a daily driver like I used to...

I already drove the 964 with a consious mind on the shifting and how hard I pushed the car.

That would not be an issue if I had the money to cover any expenses (my brother argues that the montly payment I have in the R32 could have been used to cover for those... but it is not the same...)
Old 07-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Next thing

I fear the same, mine first clutch and engine. The Porsche has driven 127.000 km. So i think thats comming oh and a new roof.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm waiting for my original Freudenberg to fail... Also, I'm wondering when the A/C system (R12) will also fail from age.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:37 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Surf Twang
Don't encourage him!

Quick Reply: Greatest fear what will brake in the future????