Sponsored by:

Spoiler gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Spoiler gear problem

This morning, I went out for Breakfast and while I was inside the cafe, someone tried to steal my 3rd brake light. Either they were frightened off or they were ill equipped thieves as they failed to fully remove the light. They did succeed, however, in breaking the plastic structure that fastens the light to the car. I mistakenly rested the unit on its side for the drive home, as I had no tools with me to remove it. What I did not count on, however, was the spoiler lifting. When this happened, the brake light fell inside the opening and when the spoiler closed, it jammed the gear mechanism, causing it to skip a couple of teeth. As a result, now the spoiler does not close fully as it engages the sensor too early.

Is there a way to realign the gears without taking the spoiler apart? The last time I attempted this, well, it wasn't a happy ending.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:27 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Amazing... to think they may even own a Porsche to install that on - they can't afford one for themselves...? Arrrggggh!

Good luck fixin...
Old 07-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thieves? In Canada?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Probably Americans up for the weekend.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:31 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that if you lift up the engine lid and remove the cover for the mechanism on the left side you will be able to do it. With that cover removed (2 screws) you can see the gear teeth mounted on the arm that moves up. At the center of this gear you will see a hex head fastener. If you loosen this fastener it will allow the gear to be moved away and out of contact with the motor gear. You can then realign it and then tighten the fastener. Make sure that the arm does not slip out so much that the flange does not come of the slot in the wing structure. (Sorry, I don't have any pictures at this point, but I think you will know if you get it wrong.) I hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

MSchett2, your input is much appreciated. I am in to my civies and garage bound, with a printout of your directions. I'll report back in due course.

Thanks again.

Syd
Old 07-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Well, I was delayed last night in getting to my spoiler problem. My wife had other plans for my time. So, this morning, on my way to the office, I stopped in to my tech guy. It took him less time to fix it than it took me to explain the problem. There is a tension spring on the side of the gear mechanism that he poke out of its hole with a screwdriver, while holding the other side to keep it in tact. Once the tension was released, he simply pulled back the gear and realigned it. It took him approximately 20 seconds to fix it. No charge service with a smile and all is well with the motion of the spoiler.

Next job is to install the new bridge spoiler once it has been painted.

Quick Reply: Spoiler gear problem