Sponsored by:

Tranny noise what's that?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny noise what's that?

I ve been collecting pieces for the imfamous flywheel conversion on my 964. I ve also been listening to all of the yehs and nehs about performing the opperation on my Porsche. However, I beleive that the only aspect of this procedure that may be of a concern to me is; the noise problem.
No-one seems to know exactly what causes the noise, they only know that it happens; some cars louder than others. A couple of my buddies with earlier 911's in the mid 80's range have no idea what I am talking about,and have said that there are no weird noises out of their cars which both have installed lightened flywheels. So I did some investigating and to no avail did I find any reason why my car should make noise after the installation other than it just does. I'm soory but there has got to be a better answer than that. Maybe if we knew exactly what the problem was then something could be done about it. Thats is, if it really is a problem.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:09 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duncan

I have a Euro RS flywheel in my car, and although there is some very slight additional noise at low revs, there is none whatsoever (as far as I can tell) at any other time....
Old 07-12-2004, 05:01 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dual mass flyfwheel dampens out the torque pulses from the engine, where as the lightweight single mass flywheel is not as effective allowing pulses of torque to be sent to the tranny which causes gear chatter.
Both my tranny's made/make quite a lot more noise than with the DMF, and it isn't a particularly pleasant noise.

Quick Reply: Tranny noise what's that?