Sponsored by:

Pricing Advice for a 1993 C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 01:30 AM
splattergasted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Advice for a 1993 C4

I'm trying to establish a "baseline" price for a 1993 C4 Cab. Here's what I know so far:

1993 C4 Cab
68k miles
all stock
2 owners
clean carfax

Spoke to current owner, said has service records.
he bot the car in 2002 with 58k miles.
60 mile service has been done

had two problems...
front bumper was replaced (claims it was a defect part & replaced under warranty)
brake cylinder was replaced
other than that, claims car is in perfect working order, both mech. and elec and no leaks (yea, I know..everyone says that!)

I haven't seen the service records yet (planning on getting copies) and just posted a msg asking for good PPI shops in his area (Minneapolis MN). I was planning on scheduling the PPI then checking out the car in person if no issues pop up (it's 800 miles away). He's sent lots of pic's and the car at least looks in very good condition (except for a silly phone antenna on the third brakelight...grrr)

I'm trying to establish a baseline price that I can use to discount any issues that pop up in the PPI. With the miles, I'm concerned that the clutch may need replacing soon (he thinks it's original) along with replacing the infamous dual-mass flywheel. I've heard this is an expensive undertaking. At this age / mileage, I'm guessing I'll be replacing many belts & hoses as well.

He's asking $27k. From what I've seen advertised...this seems like a fair price for that year / model / condition (assuming car passes PPI with no major issues).

Any opinions? Am I putting the cart before the horse and should not think about price until the PPI is done?

I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

(sorry for the x-post for all you sea-faring birdies out there!)
Old 07-10-2004, 01:43 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

With records showing maintenance records, and everything sounds like it's in good shape, that sounds like a good deal on a C4 cabrio in great shape. As long as the front end was not slammed into something that messed up the frame and its alignment...
Old 07-10-2004, 10:03 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DMF was problematic in some pre-92 964's. A '93 car will have the improved Factory part, so outside of normal wear and tear, the flywheel is not necessarily an issue.

60K service is a big plus ($1,000-$1,500). You might ask if the shop carried out a leak down test while the service was being done ... healthy percentages are in the single digits. Also, this service includes many "checks" along with a valve adjustment so a lot of those hoses and belts you thought you might need to replace, might've been caught already.

I think you've got the sequence right: establish baseline, carry out PPI and negotiate final price. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2004, 11:28 AM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Defective" front bumper? I doubt it. If the usual PPI goes well, have a body shop take a look at it before closing the deal. I wouldn't turn the car down just because it has been in an accident, as long as the repair was of quality.

Quick Reply: Pricing Advice for a 1993 C4