Sponsored by:

My car died!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 01:09 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My car died!

What a great way to start the weekend. This morning my car won't start but with a quick jump start it was all fine. Took my kids to school and drove to work with no problem but now it won't start (it clicks but does not fire). Same thing happened last weekend and I thought it was the battery getting old so I swapped the old Interstate with a new Optima Red Top. But I guess it's more than an old battery issue. Being at work, I have no tools, voltmeter, or Adrian's book. Got any suggestions?

Last edited by PC2; 07-09-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Start by checking the basics

1) Do you have voltage? Do your headlights work? Do the dash lights come on? If not, you either have a bad batter or loose connections.
2) Does the starter crank? If your battery is good but the start is not cranking, then you may have a bad starter or solenoid.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:48 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rob Aube [/i]
[B]Start by checking the basics

1) Do you have voltage? Yes

Do your headlights work? Yes

Do the dash lights come on? Yes

If not, you either have a bad batter or loose connections. Conections are good and tight.

2) Does the starter crank? One click and that's all.

If your battery is good but the start is not cranking, then you may have a bad starter or solenoid. If I can jump start the car easily, wouldn't that eliminate the possibilities of a bad starter or solenoid?

I'm suspecting that it could be a bad battery. After each jump, the car does not exhibit any abnormalities during idle or drive. No warning lights come on, and no rough idles. The fuel pump seems to be working, I even popped in a spare DME relay. Hmmm............
Old 07-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, I had a similiar problem last year that lasted for a week. After much effort by myself and folks on the board (Adrian spent a ridiculous amount of time helping me troubleshoot..thanks again Adrian!) I still did not isolate the cause and eventually the symptoms went away as mysteriously as they arrived!

There are a fair number of threads I recall with similiar problems..have you done a good search?

Hope she's sorted and back making you smile soon.

--H
Old 07-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Pete,

I know you're trying to get a jump on things, but I would reserve judgement until you've had a chance to get a voltmeter across your battery (both with the engine on and off).

I don't think you have a starter problem, as it would be unaffected by a jump start (as you suggest). Unless, by coincidence, the starter happened to work after you set up for a jump. When my starter died at 100k miles, it made the horrible machine gun firing sound. It was intermittent, and would grab after the third or fourth try, and would go a week or more without acting up again.

You may have also recently "acquired" a large current drain. Which would explain the jump working, and the car running normally afterward (if your alternator was going out, you might expect the car to die on you while driving down the road....). It would also explain a new battery going flat so quickly.

Good luck, and will talk to you soon!
Old 07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, I'm going to PepBoys right now to get the Optima swapped out and hopefully it's the cause of the problem. At least the new battery should (keeping my fingers cross) get me home to my voltmeter. I will keep you guys updated.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you place a multimeter across the battery yet at all Peter?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just put an Optima battery in my car a few months ago, and it's wonderful. The engine cranks like it never did on a lead-acid battery (well, the lead acid would crank like this for the first week or so). We have the same type battery in our '96 Miata. Factory battery, and the engine still cranks with enthusiasm.

Of course, none of this means you didn't get a bad battery...
Old 07-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

By coincidence I replaced mine for an optima redtop last year when I was having the type of problems Peter is having. Its been great so far!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Ok, new battery and nothing. At least I've eliminated the battery issue. My next guess would be the starter? I've called AAA for a flat bed and will be towing it to my mechanic.

There's goes my savings for a new ...............
Old 07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, on the bright side, you can also rule out a current drain.

I'm thinking starter, too. Obviously not the fuel pump or DME relay, as the engine would still crank.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Peter,

I missed that the car starts fine with a jump start. How corroded are your battery cables and connectors? If you have swapped the battery and the symptom is still there, then maybe you aren't getting power to the starter. Where are you connecting your jumper cables when you do the jump? If you are putting them directly on the battery, then the battery cables should be ok. If you are putting the cables on the + and then connecting directly to ground, maybe you have a bad ground cable.

This would be a lot easier to figure out if you bought a multi-meter. You can get a cheap $10 one at Radio Shack or most auto parts stores.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:44 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Good news! It was just a loose connection to the starter solenoid. My mechanic tighten the wire down and all is well. My only cost was $40 towing fee. Thanks guys for all the help.

Last edited by PC2; 07-09-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Horay!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:33 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

Good job Peter! It did sound like a loose connection or bad cable as Rob mentioned. Good work everyone, and thanks for keeping us posted Peter!!

Quick Reply: My car died!