Sponsored by:

Am I really such a bad driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I really such a bad driver?

Why is it that the fact I own a Porsche suddenly seems to make me such a dreadful driver? Two recent incidents :

1) I was following a car (which was travelling fairly slowly) and we both turned on to a 2-lane Motorway slip road. I moved out and started accelerating to overtake. As I begin to draw level, he suddenly swings out (with no warning) to overtake the car in front of him. I brake hard and do nothing else - no flashing of lights, no tooting of horn - just back off and follow him past the car. He stays in the outside lane for a while, then pulls back in - at which point I overtake. As I pull in front and check my mirror, he is displaying hand signals indicating that I regularly perform my own sexual gratification, and flashing his lights. He then raced up behind me and continued flashing his lights. Once we got on the motorway, his £2.50 Fiesta or what ever he was driving disappeared into the background and I never saw him again.

2) This morning - I am driving down a normal road, and someone pulls out in front of me. Not particularly close - didn't have to brake hard - but enough that I would have had to slow down. However - at the same time, the other side of the road was clear, so I simply moved out at the same speed to overtake. Once again - as I'm driving past, he also points out that I really do pleasure myself far too often. I had done nothing agressive - wasn't going too fast, didn't use my horn, didn't flash my lights etc.

So - what am I doing wrong? It seems to me that Porsches are not allowed to overtake other cars? I've checked the highway code but I can't find that rule in there anywhwere.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:09 AM
DaveK
Race Car

By the way - since he's seen my driving (and I can guess his answer) - Christer is not allowed to reply. And neither is Piers for the same reason.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave!

You're not alone!! Posrche's, and have I to say it, especially 911 are prone to let out the agressivity of other drivers! Interestingly that seems to be more often the case with older cars as the 911 SC and Carreras, 964's and 993's. The 996 seems much more "overlooked" by other road users... or just considered as "normal" cars! Sad but true!!

My two cents: Let the jealous drivers "****" their frustration and enjoy your car!

Gruetzi

Thomas
Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 AM
Christer
Race Car

I was just going to say that this never happens to me, I usually get told by hand signals that I am number 1. Sometimes this statement of admiration is accompanied by flashing their lights etc...

I don't see what the problem is. Oh, and sometimes people shout stuff as well, but of course I cannot hear them in any case if the engine is running.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:29 AM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave, I had a good laugh

Maybe both drivers just came from their doctor (whos driving a Porsche) with instructions of not to pleasure themself too often with the hand they are showing you. Now their angry the PD is following to check that they are not doing it in the car

Or they where just plain limited in their intellect

Thanks for shareing.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:31 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi Dave

You have cheered me up on a dreary wet morning with your descriptions of hand signals, thank you for that.

Someone called me a pig in marks and spencers car park last week but that may not have had anything to do with my driving, may have been on old girlfriend.

On one occasion I pulled into a petrol station in the north of France and a one of our French cousins rolled down the window of his people carrier and called me a bourgois pig (excuse spelling), my wife looked at me in disbelief.

Cheers
Rob
91 964 cab
Old 07-09-2004, 05:42 AM
Christer
Race Car

I presume this has nothing to do with physical appearance?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Christer
I presume this has nothing to do with physical appearance?
You mean Dave's so good looking even blokes have to relieve themselves when they see him?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Christer
Race Car

Well, for the sake of good manners I usually do it before he turns up...no one wants to see that....
Old 07-09-2004, 05:54 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well, that is possible I guess - 'cos I am.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Kismet
Instructor

Don't worry Dave. its not you, some people act like that and then buy BMWs. A similar thing happened to us a couple of weeks ago. Heather was driving my car and as we waited for some lights to change a hatch pulled up behind and the guys inside started shouting abuse at us and giving the 'hand signals'. Heather thought she must have done something wrong, but I assured her it was their problem. And I knew their gestures weren't about me because I'm left handed.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:50 AM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I can confirm such hand gesture sightings here in the US as well!!!!
The growl of the motor, the wing, the fact that it is a Porsche, and just appears expensive, antagonizes people to no end...

I just smile, and keep driving.

I can remark that having such great brakes can make you over confident, and allow you to get closer to cars in front of you... This can make people nervous and aggressive.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was just going to post that I had yet to see some of our delightful English hand signals in use on US roads. Here in California I get shown one the singular one finger salute rather than two and in San Francisco the motion described above could well be interpreted as a sign to pull over and say hello!

Thanks for the morning funny!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:07 PM
JoeW
Pro

One town near here is famed for the care and precision with which its police enforce the speed laws -- so I'm sure to be going the "correct" speed all the way through the town and stay in the right lane.

It amazes me how often very pedestrian Corollas, Kias, Cavaliers, and so on, feel called upon to not only pass me but to zip back in front of me cutting it as close as they can -- it's like they think I'm in their way!

But usually I drive a bit faster than the traffic while on the interstates -- if I'm in my wife's little SUV no one seems to notice. In the Porsche it seems strange how many SUVs seem called upon to overtake me. I gather they believe this proves something on the order of the superiority of TrailBlazers, or something ....

Joe
Old 07-10-2004, 05:38 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have the answers, Dave.

1. Take Abba off the stereo, or at least turn the volume down.
2. Put some clothes on next time you go out for a drive.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Am I really such a bad driver?