Sponsored by:

Engine performance upgrade to my 964

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard,

First thing, I do not shout, just my caps lock was on..

What I tried to say is that when people have a hot discussion, sometimes they are not nice to each other. I ment no one in particular, just for the whole topic. As long 'we' , that includes me also, stay a bit nice to each other, then we will have more fun on this board. That's what we want. isn't it?

I hope this answer gives you all the answers you need my friend.

Nice weekend!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

150 replies to this post! I read somewhere that conveying sarcasm through the written word is extremely difficult. Throw in some language and cultural differences and it's probably impossible. Having said that would one of you terrorists grab a gun and shoot this post and put it out of it's misery.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Roy,

That's what I had in mind.

We saw a lot far less dangerous topics been blocked in the past........
Old 07-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Roy Eames
I read somewhere that conveying sarcasm through the written word is extremely difficult. Throw in some language and cultural differences and it's probably impossible.
But Roy, if you read the board with any frequency you would be familiar with Phil and Dove's friendly jibes about the "hairdressers car" and immediately see the attempt to bring some humor to the proceedings!

Also, FWIW, when online a smiley at the end of a statement usually conveys the intent was sarcasm and not a literal statement.

Roy you Ar%$@*&ole!!

Old 07-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Kahdmus
But Roy, if you read the board with any frequency you would be familiar with Phil and Dove's friendly jibes about the "hairdressers car" and immediately see the attempt to bring some humor to the proceedings!

Nothing friendly about my Boxster jibes!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Nothing friendly about my Boxster jibes!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kahdmus, I think the humor(especially the dry variety) should be encouraged. I really enjoy it. Must be my partial English heritage. But, as you know, there are some pretty thin skins here. If you're going to throw a punch you need to be able to take one too. Everyone here should re-read the posts, count to ten, and give the other guy the benefit of the doubt before replying. I doubt that most people really mean to be cruel. In the future I will end every post with a . Just in case there is any doubt.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Roy Eames
Kahdmus, I think the humor(especially the dry variety) should be encouraged. I really enjoy it. Must be my partial English heritage. But, as you know, there are some pretty thin skins here. If you're going to throw a punch you need to be able to take one too. Everyone here should re-read the posts, count to ten, and give the other guy the benefit of the doubt before replying. I doubt that most people really mean to be cruel. In the future I will end every post with a . Just in case there is any doubt.
Cheers Roy and I agree with you entirely! I actually have a hard time sometimes understanding WHY people are offended! Either I'm insensitive (a possibility, LOL!) or people sometimes rather enjoy taking offense (a more distinct possibility IMO!) ....<adds quickly> this is not in reference to anyone in particular but rather just a generalization!
Old 07-09-2004, 03:01 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Would someone mind summarising this thread for me, please?

I just got back from the 'Ring trip and have too much to do to read it but, judging by this page, it's a humdinger....
Old 07-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Would someone mind summarising this thread for me, please?

I just got back from the 'Ring trip and have too much to do to read it but, judging by this page, it's a humdinger....
Hi John

Cleaned your windscreen yet?

While you were away the kids did play

Looking forward to seeing lots of photos.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:29 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Photos now up...
Old 07-09-2004, 07:32 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sheesh!

I just got through reading all eleven pages.

My summary - Adrian is having some mods done, but doesn't want 'before-and-after' testing done.

How did that run to eleven pages?! - No, please don't answer - it was a hypothetical question.

Nice to be back. No, really, it is. These things happen. We ALL need to learn to take things less personally.

Actually, that's a bit of a laugh, coming from me, who takes absolutely everything personally. Still, it saves on Christmas cards, doesn't it, Adrian?

Remember, as well as being the fount of all knowledge, Adrian is also just 'one of us'.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

If anybody is still wondering about the logic here (although I think we're all beyond it now), I think I've got it figured out. When I'm perplexed, I always like to think in extremes:
Case 1) One day I might want to turbo my 944NA (really!!). I'd want 350hp to the wheels, and I'd want someone to pretty much guarantee it. I'd pay $10-20k or more for a reliable job. I'd do the research and then get it done, maybe by JME or Powerhaus. I would not do a "before dyno test". It would make no sense. Would anyone disagree with that? (Right now, I might be making 130hp at the wheels. Who cares if its 125 or 135?)

Case2) Hypothetically, a local "tuner" suggests that I drill holes in the airbox of my 964. Not knowing any better (hypothetically, remember), I ask about the performance gain that I could expect. He guarantees me 6hp or double my money back, plus free removal of my engine undertray. How could either of us verify the result if we don't do a before dyno run? With drivetrain loss, a 15 year old car, etc - it would be impossible to judge the outcome. I think that everyone would agree on that point.

so - Adrian may be thinking along the lines of case #1, and the rest of the mouths on the board are thinking more along the lines of case #2. IMHO, if Adrian wants to think of his job like case #1, he has every right to. Nobody should badger him - and after reading all of these posts, I can't think of a better term to describe the treatment to our favorite (and stubborn - like alot of us including me) 964 guru.

While I'm spouting off, I'll also comment on the WeightWatchers crack. That was rediculous (as they spell it on the 944 board). I'm floating around 195-202lbs right now and I'd love to get to 185. I might be interested in paying a trainer or a company like WeightWatchers to help get me there. That's where I want to be bc I know its doable. Also, several of my clothes will fit better. I honestly don't care if I'm 195 or 202 when I walk into their shop. If they'll get me to 185, I'm happy. If they want to do a before run on their time and money, that's fine, but I don't want to waste my time or money on it.
Phewww. Sorry for kicking a dead horse, but I couldn't help it.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:39 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear John,
Yes the Christmas card list did just get shorter.
The consequences of this thread will have a long lasting negative impact.
I am clearly no longer "one of us" despite all my efforts to keep it that way.
It is clear that I do not have the simple and basic respect of many forum users; In their minds I am
a). Not permitted to make an announcement.
b). Not permitted to make my own decisions.
c). Not permitted to give answers and having them respected.
d). Not permitted to ask people to wait for answers and have that respected either.
I even got into trouble for saying I am replacing my C4. Well I will be replacing my C4 with the Sportec 650 (Porsche GT-2). The C4 will stay in the family for a time after the GT-2 is securely parked in my park platz. However it will have to go to a new home.
What is more shocking is the lengths that some people will go to, to embarass and discredit me in public. There is a story within a story in this thread if you wish to look for it.
Yes I take this all very personally. I have been launched down a path through circumstances beyond my control. I would rather have not been but I had no choice in the matter. When people attack me for personal pleasure they attack the whole reason for me doing what I am and why I am doing it. This is very personal.
Strangely I take the view that to attack somebody, to attempt to discredit somebody, to attempt embarass somebody is a very personal thing to do also. What else but deep seated personal feelings motivates people to go to the lengths they do sometimes.
I am not here to serve people. I am not here to take orders from people.
I wanted to remain part of this community I helped create long before most currently on this forum even owned a 964.
I have remained here and put up with a lot of crap because I felt I needed to repay what I saw was a debt I owed to the Rennlist community, not just the 964 community. After this thread I have decided the debt has been paid in full.
I will still be around but no longer motivated to spend 24/7 on this forum. I have new things to do, exciting things to do. Working with some very exciting and motivated people. Announcements will appear on other Rennlist forums as they come together.
Too many people on this forum have lost the "Just for fun" ethic along with the purposes and principles that this community was founded on.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-10-2004, 05:27 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Just one further point, Adrian.

It doesn't need a reply and I think it's best if the thread gets locked then, so I'll do that to...

Just remember all the people (who knows how many - dozens, hundreds, thousands) that get a lot out of your posts on Rennlist even though they may never actually post themselves. It wouldn't be right to judge the thoughts of everyone from your view (right or wrong) of the posts (or PMs, etc.) of a few.

Quick Reply: Engine performance upgrade to my 964