Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 04:56 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 964 VIN Plate + Engine Case Nr

Good afternoon Gentlemen

Eyeballing a 964 and like to cross check something here:

Does anybody have a reference image for me, taken from underneath the VIN plate in the front trunk.
Especially looking how this plate is attached to the main chassis. If you prefer, you can also send it direct to me:
ivo@porschedriverslub.com

And while i am it ....
Engine number is on he right side, next to the fan housing. Check.
Is there also an engine number on the bottom of the cranck case, on the right hand side like with the 996 GT3 / Cup and 997 GT3/ Cup cars ?

Thanks a lot in advance

;-)
Old 08-09-2024, 11:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
Good afternoon Gentlemen

Does anybody have a reference image for me, taken from underneath the VIN plate in the front trunk.
Especially looking how this plate is attached to the main chassis. If you prefer, you can also send it direct to me:

And while i am it ....
Is there also an engine number on the bottom of the cranck case, on the right hand side like with the 996 GT3 / Cup and 997 GT3/ Cup cars ?

Thanks a lot in advance

;-)
The US cars had a vin sticker on the drivers door jamb. They were long and rectangular on the earlier cars and I believe it was 91 when they switched to a smaller more square black decal. The US cars have the 2 rivets installed where the RoW vin plate would normally be even though no vin plate is present. Do a search on BaT for RoW 964's if you need additional photos of the vin plate itself. There seem to be 2 versions. I believe the majority of them are black and will say typ 964 or typ 965 on the bottom. Some of the Japanese imports I have seen are silver. One thing I do recall is that all of them got the same sized rivet so if the heads are larger than most were sometimes removed and repalced or.

The 964 engine does not have serial number in any other place than next to the fan. If it is a US spec they would have a vin sticker attached to the 89 and 94 MY cars. AFAIK the only other identifiers are a 3 digit markings on the top of the case which should match. Unfortunately Porsche no longer offers engine serial numbers on CofA's as they did in the past.

Here is a Japanese import Cup car (same for all models) Notice the silver plate. This would be black for most other countries AFAIK. I am fairly confident that this plate was removed for paintwork and installed after.

This is a US Spec Cup car. You can see where the RoW vin plate would attach. The rivets are the standard size used on all 964's no matter where they were exported to and all should have them in place. If they are painted it would be a clear indication of paintwork. Not sure why they installed them on US spec cars but they did.

Last edited by cobalt; 08-09-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Thank a lot Cobalt.
Helpful to know there is only one place where the engine number is.

Chassis number:
I actually mean the plate / chassis part that is sitting on the bottom, in front of the fuel tank.

Thanks again

Old 08-10-2024, 06:02 AM
uli1266
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

That place looks like this
Old 08-10-2024, 01:13 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

It must be not being a native English speaking person: Sorry

I am looking for an image from the underside of that place, and how it's connected to the main chassis

:-)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
It must be not being a native English speaking person: Sorry

I am looking for an image from the underside of that place, and how it's connected to the main chassis

:-)
I don't have any pictures. AFAIK the plate is part of the tub. I will try to pull the spare from my car and take a picture but give me some time. The plate varies depending on year as well. Some are not painted body color others are. Some use an impression stamp like the one you posted and later ones use a dot matrix type print. Some have black paint as well. AFAIK they all show ZZZ even US spec but I will verify.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:28 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Thanks everybody. I plowed through an old archive i forgot i have.
I took these from a car i was eyeballing back then. Had to adjust the image slightly to be able to see it correctly.

Seems the welds are ± 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) in diameter and properly slammed into the chassis.
The weld points seem to sit a bit deeper into the metal.

This all makes total sense.

Unfortunately this is not like the 964 RS i was interested in.

Attached the (i think) correct way the VIN plate is supposed to be connected (top and bottom)
For clarity: This VIN is NOT the VIN doubted.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2024, 10:23 PM
gries9.
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
Good afternoon Gentlemen

And while i am it ....

Thanks a lot in advance

;-)
The US cars had a vin sticker on the drivers door jamb. They were long and rectangular on the earlier cars

Quick Reply: 964 VIN Plate + Engine Case Nr