Sponsored by:

Dashboard leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Steffo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dashboard leather

I´m very close on buying a 964 with the leather on the dash crawling up backwards from the forward assembly. Is it easy to stretch it back in place and fasten it again? Is this normal on a car with 77000 km on the clock?

I also would like to know if the push buttons of the climate control are changeable. The white markings are quite worn. Where to buy?

Thank's for your help,

regards Steffo
Old 06-28-2004, 08:22 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Hi Steffo

Can't answer the leather on the dash question as mine had plastic (Full leather interior was a very nice option which not all cars had..)

The buttons are definitely changable, they can be bought from your local Porsche Centre, in the UK they cost me £36.00 each (Aircon and interior air circulation). They are easy to fit as well, they don't need soldering either!!

Cheers
Gary
Old 06-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Steffo
Track Day

Thank's Gary! Then at least the buttons won´t stop me...

/Steffo
Old 06-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you'll be able to pull the leather back into place. And if you can the structure is probably warped.

I got a "remanufactured" part from "German Auto Dismantlers" for $450 plus your core. It's a simple swap (hardest part is removing and replacing the nut in the center of the dash, accessed through the A/C vent).

carl.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Steffo,
No you cannot stretch the leather back into place. Been there done that bought that t-shirt with my rear parcel shelf. You have to remove it and get it recovered. This is cheaper than replacement, well it is here in Switzerland anyway.
The problem is not normal with only 77,000 km on the clock. This suggests possibly that the dash was damaged when a front windshield was replaced. The other thing is excessive moisture which causes th eleather to shrink. Mind you it would take a lot of water. This might be a clue to check for water damage elsewhere.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Steffo
Track Day

Thank´s for your help, I´ll check further. This might give me a little bit of work during the winter...

/Steffo
Old 06-29-2004, 05:46 PM
lightning
Advanced

Dear Steffo,

I would consider the red one, it will make a nice show with a 3.2, a 964 and a 993 all in red!

Quick Reply: Dashboard leather